Corporate Jingle and Venture or Marketing Pitch – does one affect the other?

I don’t know if I’m introducing the “Corporate Jingle” a little too early in this course, or if it is part of a marketing pitch that should, should not be part of the pitch process or have I opened a can of worms by stating that I think a corporate Jingle should be part of a pitch campaign?

Case in point,

As a young kid growing up in the Interior of BC, we lived in a community 2 hours drive, north of Spokane Washington, 90 percent of our TV programs came out of that city. KXLY  TV is one that comes to mind, don’t remember the rest.

To this day, 48 years later, I still remember the jingle of two elderly ladies as they sang, “when you dis-co-ver oil… call Boyle… If you tap the notes on the keyboard of a piano, it should sound something like this. First, find middle C then follow the notes for the jingle. When (middle C) you (F) dis (G) co (A) ver (b flat) oil (C) call (b flat) Boyle (A) let the word Boyle resonate for a couple seconds. Does anyone remember hearing that jingle?

To get you to sing the jingle properly is not part of my pitch, but in my opinion, I believe that a Jingle develops an immediate auditory connection as a marketing strategy for the End User. If introduced correctly during the pitch campaign, investors have another reminder of the pitch, the product or service that they can relate to. Possibly even an image of the person who developed the jingle or the day and time it was seen in the board room. (I hesitate to mention that advertising costs money and some businesses may not be financially able to afford TV or radio spots.) I remember Jed, firing his shot gun at some food and saying to myself back then, “I wonder if he knew to call Boyle?”

Just because there is a catchy tune, does it mean a successful business venture, obviously not. But, at least the investor remembers a previous experience to it. If it’s catchy enough and heard often enough, would it persuade an investor to lean in that direction? Everyone is hearing it… I also ask, “Is a Marketing pitch part of the Venture pitch? Are they the same thing?  Is one embedded in the other?”

Let’s look at “life could be a dream sweetheart….” you know you’ve heard that before. What comes to mind? How about, “Home Depot – you can do it, we can help.” What a GREAT line, it implies that, “you CAN do it.” I know lots of wanna-be Home Reno types who are into it knee deep and have no idea how to get out.

thanks, ddp

1 comment

1 David Vogt { 09.15.08 at 1:28 pm }

Thanks for your homage to the age of persuasion marketing…

The brief answer is that venture pitches should avoid slick marketing phrases, jingles, etc, because investors are an entirely jaded species – they are pitched so often that buzz words, etc, make them nauseous. Get to the point of your business – make them greedy. Remember that you’re not selling the product to them, you’re selling the business proposition, so “where’s the beef?”.

David