Jing Cube

Jing Video Tour

Face 1: Market Focus

This tool can be used in almost every aspects of business development and education (online or face2face). In essence, Jing is for anyone who would benefit from recording and sharing screen captures.

Face 2: Types of Offerings

Jing is a screen capture tool developed by TechSmith (Camtasia & SnagIt), which allows for simultaneous sharing. Content can be shared via Flickr, FTP, or Screencast.com, another project initiated by TechSmith. This original version, which allows for a maximum recording time of 5 minutes, is intended to lead to a subsequent subscription to premium versions that TechSmith intends to introduce soon.

Face 3: Who is the Buyer?

Possible buyers for the premium versions of Jing could be anyone aiming to train / support others in any computer related technology, as well as anyone wanting to create learning objects exceeding 5 minutes in length. (Note that the tool is free at the moment for projects not exceeding 5 minutes in length.)

Face 4: Global Markets

According to TechSmith’s website, support is offered in English, French, Dutch, Chinese and Japanese. However, because the nature of the tool is to capture voice as well as image, we can conclude that it could be used by just about anyone in the world, having access to a strong enough internet connection.

Face 5: Development of the Market

Given that this tool requires nothing more that a reliable internet connection and that it offers visual support for learning (use of iconography makes it easy to figure out how to use the tool, without having to read anything), it is likely that TechSmith will be able to develop markets across the globe.

Face 6 – Competition

As far as I can see, Jing is not competing with the other leading screen capture tools (Camtasia & SnagIt) being that they have been created by the same group (TechSmith) and that it can be viewed as a lite version of both in many ways. Another point to consider is that although software like Adobe Captivate might seem to be in direct copetition with Jing, Jing still stands at the forefront because of it’s user readiness and friendliness. It is a point-and-click type of tool that requires no training. As the user gets more familiar with the tool, and perhaps finds more uses for it, s/he can then upgrade to the premium versions. Making the basic tool available at no cost is a great marketing strategy to infiltrate both markets and cyberspace.

1 Bryan Funk { 09.22.08 at 8:56 pm }

This is common practice with many applications offered over the internet. Let users have free access to the basic functions and then spring the upgraded and premium version on them once they start wishing the bare bones version could do just a little more.

I use Jing once in a while to send a math lesson to the school when I know my replacement teacher does not have a backround in math. Sent as an attachment in the email, I can give the instructions to the kids without being in the class. They really responded well to it.

2 Marc Kampschuur { 09.22.08 at 11:31 pm }

Bryan:

Guess thats the next best thing to being there. Wonder if the sub acted out your lesson simultaneously with the presentation, would have been funny.

Nancy:
(Her name was Magil and she called herself Lil But everyone knew her as Nancy – little Beatles musical interlude there)

For Mac OS (it was the platform used in the demo clip), Snapz Pro offers competition . Trial limited to 2 weeks rather than 5 minute use.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

Rather than try to explain how to set up an application on the phone have used Snapz to email a clip. Very intuitive / easy to use (after all, I was able to use it).

The Jing Trial seems more friendly to the casual user. Curious what is the more effective marketing technique.

Could see Jing remaining on my drive for 6 month, every so often use it, get more comfortable/accustomed to it, may eventually purchase it when depended on it and need a >5 minute production.

With Snapz may only use it a couple times in the 2 week period and then not come back to it / not become accustomed to it, try something different.

For screen captures found this widget (freeware) useful.
http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/details.php?wid=113

Cheers, Marc

3 Deepika Sharma { 09.23.08 at 9:18 am }

Thanks Bryan for introducing me to an actual application of Jing!

There are so many tools out there and relatively few users of the applications – or user database or I dont know of it – or it is just difficult to keep track!

But good to know a math teacher used Jing and that makes me want to explorethe tool further 🙂
Cheers!

Dee

4 David Vogt { 09.23.08 at 8:55 pm }

I haven’t used Jing, but my guess is that its business strategy is really just to build a market. It is free, easy to use, online, and for beginners. The business objective is therefore to reach a whole set of users who would otherwise never be exposed to such a tool, expecting that many of these may graduate to becoming premium customers. In business terms it therefore creates a “sales funnel” (it opens a relationship with potential customers) and a “barrier to entry” (it makes it very difficult for other competitors to enter the field) simultaneously. Am I right?

5 Bruce Spencer { 09.26.08 at 12:01 pm }

Sweet!

This software has definite posibilities in my world (I’ve lost count of the number of manuals I’ve had to create for other LMS users). I’m already using snagit.

All I have to do now is to try to find the time to play around with this piece of software. Nancy, Bryan, can you give me some idea as to how long the learning curve is on this?

6 nancy castonguay { 09.28.08 at 9:17 am }

Thank you for your posts.

Bruce: WRT the learning curve, 5-10 minutes is all you’ll need. Coolest thing about it is: once your screen capture is done, you can choose to upload it directly into Screencast.com, which offers you a free storage space included with the free version of Jing, then email the link to whomever you like… students, collegues… You can have your screen capture collected and shared in less than 5 minutes.

7 nancy castonguay { 09.28.08 at 9:30 am }

David, I think you are right and I also think that this is a brilliant marketing strategy. People generally tend to stick to what they know. Take MAC vs. PC. APPLE gave huge discounts to school districts so that students might grow up using MACs. The trouble was that MACs were too expensive and students did not for the most part purchase MACs for their home computers; they purchased PCs. Teachers did the same, for the most part. In the end, MAC labs were replaced by PC labs… that is in the districts I have worked in. Once a user familiarize himself/herself with a certain piece of equipment, it is difficult to get them to switch gear, especially given that many of these tools have considerable learning curves attached to the price tags.