Module 4 – The Emerging Market of Social Technologies

Hello Everyone.  We’d like to welcome you to the Module 4 discussion on the emerging market of social technologies.  Social Technologies, often referred to as  Web 2.0 technologies, have had a significant impact on the evolution of the web and elearning venture possibilities .  This discussion site is meant as an introduction to Web 2.0 terms and concepts, the services and tools currently being offered and the myriad of issues relating to the Web 2.0 venture landscape.  We hope you find the articles and discussions relevant and thought provoking.

Module 4 members are Deepika Sharma, Ellen Wu, Drew Murphy

About the Discussion Site

1.  Four Market Segments
The discussion site breaks the social technology market into four Web 2.0 market segments: Blogs/Wikis, Social Networking, Media Tools, and Productivity Tools.  Browse through market segment webpage.  Read the information, visit some of the example sites and read the related articles.

2.  Polls
Each page has a series of polls that ask basic questions about you and your understanding of these web 2.0 market segments.  Fill out the polls at your leisure and view the results.

3.  Surveys
Each page has survey questions that seek to gather you basic opinions and experiences on various topics related to the web 2.0 market segments.  Fill out the surveys at your leisure and fee free to comment on the information offered by others.

4. In-Depth Discussions
The In-Depth Discussions page contains several forums that raise issues around the various web 2.0 market segments. Browse through the forums and leave detailed comments and opinions to the posted topics.  Note: Please register for the forums so you can upload your avatar and receive email updates of forum activity throughout the week.

Click here to go to the Module 4 discussion site….

1 davidp { 09.29.08 at 7:44 pm }

Thanks for setting up this external info and participation site.

I’m in.

2 Marc Kampschuur { 09.30.08 at 1:16 am }

Just a headsup, am having some issues with Safari and the freeweb site – type a post, click post, no response, click preview – there it is, click post, no response. Check with Firefox, looks like it is posted, head back to Safari, still in text entry mode…

Looks great, certainly sets a high standard for subsequent presentations. Quite impressive.

3 davidp { 09.30.08 at 7:54 am }

I can confirm a similar issue to Marc’s using Safari browser on Macbook Pro.

Otherwise, it works well.

4 Gillian Gunderson { 09.30.08 at 9:02 am }

I also experienced problems with posting – I believe I was using Internet Explorer at the time.

It never seemed to post, but when I went to the main page, it was there.

5 Mary Burgess { 09.30.08 at 7:46 pm }

I had the same experience using XP and Explorer 7 last night – looks like Freewebs is doing some discussion forum maintenance 🙁

6 Drew Murphy { 09.30.08 at 8:57 pm }

Things look back to normal now. Yeah, I guess there is a price to pay for
the “free” service.

7 Deepika Sharma { 09.30.08 at 11:25 pm }

Sorry for the bother folks! Rest assured we tried to make it easy 🙂 and if it makes anyone feel better we had our share of problems setting up the website!

Continuing Drew’s thought – >free< is not really “free”!

Dee

8 Mary Burgess { 10.01.08 at 7:48 am }

Thanks from the open source team for a good case study in the perils of “free”!

The site looks really good you guys, lots to engage with!

9 Marc Kampschuur { 10.01.08 at 3:41 pm }

Hi:

As a followup – typed up a post, posted, 1/2 the text not there (no warning that over a word limit or anything to that effect). Next time will type it in word and cut/paste so wont have to try and remember the other 1/2.

The post button does cause the post to show as posted now.

Again great job on starting us.