Welcome to Open Source Emerging Markets

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

The Open Source Emerging Markets team invites you to join us in a Moodle shell. Please go to http://onlinelearning.kwantlen.ca , create an account and log into the course called “Group 6 Open Source”. Once there, you’ll see a list of activites in which to participate with accompanying instructions.

Thanks, Marc, Bryan, Dave and Mary

1 Deepika Sharma { 10.14.08 at 3:31 am }

Open Source Emerging Markets team,

Great job! I like the chunking of assignments for the week – sorts things out 🙂 and keeps me engaged through the week…well done!

Deepika

2 Mary Burgess { 10.14.08 at 1:47 pm }

Thanks! We’re hoping there is a bit of an opportunity for scaffolding and also enough freedom for people to explore directions we didn’t think of.

3 Marc Kampschuur { 10.14.08 at 5:28 pm }

Hello cohort. As Deepika and Mary pointed out we structured the module around a schedule to provide some scaffolding opportunities and a little support along the way.

Tomorrow will look for you in the next set of activities but if you want to contribute to earlier activities please do (perhaps a later activity produces additional insight and you want to add, change or clarify…).

Looks like we already have 15 or so participants excluding our group members and instructors (yes we even let them into the site), the wiki has seen development, threads have been started and contributed to, questionnaires submitted, thank you for your strong start to the open source module.

4 Alex { 10.15.08 at 5:30 am }

Hi

A great introduction to the open source! Thank you, Marc, Bryan, Dave and Mary.

Alex

5 Melissa Anders { 10.15.08 at 11:05 am }

Hi Marc, Mary, Bryan and Dave,
I haven’t received my confirmation email in order to get access to your site. I tried re-signing up but it says my email address is already registered. If I try logging in, it says that I have not completed my registration from the confirmation email.
Any suggestions?

Melissa

6 Marc Kampschuur { 10.15.08 at 9:25 pm }

Melissa:

I had a look under participants and under potential users and do not see your name in either area thus not appear that you successfully registered for Moodle or the site itself. Perhaps clear cookies, clear cache, and try again.

Alternatively try again with a different email address (I can send a gmail address invite to you if you like).

If you can take a screen capture of where the error occurs and email to me then can forward it to our technical support should the first two options not produce the desired result.

Regards, Marc

7 Melissa Anders { 10.16.08 at 5:50 pm }

Thanks Marc,
I deleted cookies and used a new email address and it worked. Not sure which one did the trick, but at least I’m in now 🙂

I’ll get to catching up now!

8 Sarah Wood { 10.17.08 at 9:10 am }

Hi Group 6,

I have enjoyed reading your Moodle site and have learned a great deal. I have little experience with Open Source, so while I read the discussion threads, I didn’t find a place to comment or share ideas. One question I have for the group is – who should be using Open Source technology? Is it limited to those who have the technical capacity to manage it? Or does it have benefits to a broader audience?

When I read the information on Moodle I had 2 thoughts:
1. I could figure this out (I think!).
2. Is it worth my time to figure this out?!?!?

Thanks,
Sarah

9 Bruce Spencer { 10.17.08 at 9:24 am }

Great job Team 6!

To be honest, there were times when I felt like a small fish in a big ocean with respect to some of the discussions. Clearly, many of you are well versed in what’s going on with open source throughout the world.

I’ve enjoyed reading through the discussions and adding my 2 cents worth when I felt it was appropriate / relevant. I also learned a ton of stuff I didn’t know before which makes it all worthwhile.

I hope we’re able to access this blog after the course is over as I would like to revisit several of the sites related to this particular topic as well as some of the other ones from previous weeks.

Cheers All

Bruce

10 Mary Burgess { 10.17.08 at 12:57 pm }

Sarah – Glad you’re finding value in our site – if you would like to start a new discussion about a topic of your choice, definitely feel free to do so. All you have to do is click the “add a new discussion topic” button when you’re in any of the existing forums. I’d also be happy to start an entirely new forum for you if you’d rather, just email me at Mary.BurgessATroyalroads.ca and let me know.

In answer to your question I think it really depends on the application. Pretty much anyone can use Firefox for example, but setting up a Drupal instance is pretty hard to do without some serious technical know-how. With respect to Moodle, once installed (which again, takes some technical know-how), it’s a pretty intuitive app to use, and when it’s not, the Moodle.org site is extremely useful for getting information. There are also a lot of how-to videos about it on Youtube. I hope you’ll come back to the site and take part in the discussion of Moodle!

Mary

11 cwickes { 10.17.08 at 4:51 pm }

Similar to some of the comments above, I really felt out of my element trying to comment on some of the discussions about Open Source. I remember our District’s IT principal talking about open source applications a couple of years ago at a meeting and any proposed involvedment was rapidly shot down because the group, collectively, felt it was unsafe to subject the District to (what was perceived as being) risky courseware or applications. I found your module very informative in that regard and have more knowledge with which to contribute to future meetings!

12 Marc Kampschuur { 10.18.08 at 3:26 pm }

Thanks for the positive comments, am happy that registration worked (frankly was a little worried about things going sideways there).

What I like about the site is its open source hence it provides all the participants with first hand experience in an open source LMS (whether you like it or not 🙂 ).

What I will do afterwards is change roles to teacher for those that request so can have the opportunity to look at the interface from the administrator’s perspective (and also try to edits/add activities if want to – will do a back first 🙂 ).

Cheers, Marc

13 Michael Awmack { 10.19.08 at 7:06 pm }

Group 6,

You’ve done a great job with the open source module. I really appreciate the effort you’ve gone to in order to set it up in Moodle. I like the fact that it gave me the chance to check out Moodle (I had heard a lot about it in past courses, but had never actually used it). I’d definitely be interested in checking out the teacher/admin role once you change it over.

Mike