Module 7 Discussion

Hi everyone. I spent all day Monday reading and answering posts… I kept track on paper of my contributions… Now I can’t find most of my posts… it would appear that some are under user: ncaston, there are none under user: nancy, and I know that at some point, it would not let me post and I posted under user: n.castonguay… It seems to me also that I checked a box that activates the ‘get email for responses to your posts’ or something like that… and it may be that i have received none, but if i did, i have no way of knowing…

David & David, i think that it makes it very difficult for someone taking many courses to keep up with discussions if they are all in different places… All 4 of my MET courses consist of groups presenting units, all using different forums, wikis… you name it… lately, i am trying to follow discussions in 8 locations… 4 of which change venues weekly… This means I now have about 16 membership accounts that I have created to keep up… There are yet more to come… Given that our marks are based on participation, this makes me uneasy because I really never know whether or not instructors actually know all the work that is being done…

1 davidp { 10.23.08 at 9:34 am }

Hi Nancy. I’ll keep track of you in each of your personas.

Helps if you are consistent with naming, for sure.

2 Crystal Pullman { 10.23.08 at 11:18 am }

Hi Nancy,
I wonder if you made sure you were logged in when you were posting? I know this is only for this site, but I will try to track down your posts.
The following is the registered user info on the members board as I can see it:
As Nancy, there are no posts. You registered with this name on Wednesday but never logged in with that name. As ncaston, there are two posts. This was created on Monday and was last logged into on Wednesday. There is no registered n.castonguay.

I will try to track down your posts and see if you were posting as a guest and will let you know further.

Does this help you at least for this section?

3 Crystal Pullman { 10.23.08 at 11:20 am }

Also Nancy – you have to be logged in when you check the Subscribe button in order to receive emails. If you weren’t logged in at the time, that might be why. Also I found after I begin receiving emails that they were going directly to my Spam folder (even though it used my address as the “from” address). I had to create filters so that they would go to my inbox.

4 Crystal Pullman { 10.23.08 at 11:41 am }

Hi Nancy, I looked through, found the different posts, and emailed you what I found. Please let me know if that helps.
Most of your posts were made as n.castonguay, which would mean that you would not receive any emails about replies, etc., as the site wouldn’t know where to send emails.

5 nancy castonguay { 10.23.08 at 2:24 pm }

Thank you both. I’ll try not to develop anymore aliases… Someone should invent a Web 2.0 user/pass book… I think I could fill out a few pages, just for MET alone… 🙂

6 Crystal Pullman { 10.23.08 at 2:48 pm }

No problem Nancy! I think several people have had the same problem (not making sure they’re logged in before they post). I just had an email from another person, and I’ve noticed one person who is registered that has made posts under that name, and anonymous posts with a different name.

If you use internet explorer, you could look into Billeo. It’s an add-on that’s free, and can keep track of all of your websites and passwords for you, and you can go in and change passwords or delete ones you don’t want anymore. You can access your account through internet explorer and online. In internet explorer it will automatically fill in passwords *and* log you in, if that’s what you want. I used to use it, but for quite a while I’ve been using Firefox, and recently had a short fling with Chrome.

7 D.B. { 10.24.08 at 3:52 pm }

thanks Nancy for raising this issue. I too have struggled with the assorted fora that we are using across all these courses and the login identities etc. Presently I am choosing to register with the various fora only IF I must in order to post because all these userIDs are getting rather unmanageable. (So far I’m counting 20+ user IDs required so far in this calendar year to do the MET courses that I’ve done). I do try to keep the regular ID the same on all the lists, but still… I do have concerns re: participation accounting.

8 Crystal Pullman { 10.24.08 at 6:28 pm }

DB – That’s why I chose to allow anonymous users. I could have made the forum so that you would have to register to post, but I know that I don’t like having to register for sites that I will never use again, so I looked for one that could allow users to post without registering.

I hope it’s worked out ok for everyone, I know you’ve been participating a lot!

9 Marc Kampschuur { 10.24.08 at 8:32 pm }

Appreciate the ability to post anonymously, even remembered to add my name to a couple of the posts. All the ids and all the different places to post, sure underscores the “net” nature of the internet.

10 Dwayne Ali { 10.25.08 at 1:49 pm }

Nancy, your idea for a ‘web 2.0’ pass book is the impetus behind ‘Open ID’ (http://openid.net/)
I’ve seen a few sites with it. Hopefully some sort of standard emerges. I can very well see people start using facebook accounts for site log ins.

Right now, a site like Zoho will let you use your Yahoo or Google account for verification.

From the OpenID site:

“OpenID eliminates the need for multiple usernames across different websites, simplifying your online experience.

You get to choose the OpenID Provider that best meets your needs and most importantly that you trust. At the same time, your OpenID can stay with you, no matter which Provider you move to. And best of all, the OpenID technology is not proprietary and is completely free.”

11 davidp { 10.25.08 at 10:31 pm }

Dwayne’s got it right on, here.

OpenID.

The other way for us to work better would be for the external team projects to ensure that the systems they provide for our weekly activities have RSS feed capability.

That way we could use feed readers to aggregate the posts as a one source to read environment, right here. So far, only one team has used a system with RSS capability.

Sometimes the only way to master a new set of technical environments is through an experiential approach, as we’re doing in ETEC 522.

d.

12 Crystal Pullman { 10.25.08 at 11:26 pm }

Ah, I see. We could have installed RSS for the forum, but it didn’t occur to me. RSS is one way of doing things, but I, myself, don’t find it particularly useful. Not that there are any better alternatives at the moment I suppose. I could install it now, but as our module is wrapping up, I don’t see that it would be all that helpful.
Ah well, something for the next modules to do!

13 Crystal Pullman { 10.26.08 at 4:34 pm }

RSS has been added. Better late then never I suppose!

14 Susan Wilson { 10.26.08 at 7:59 pm }

Something to look at http://www.atomkeep.com/

May not be applicable here, but it could be really useful.