Assignment 3 Up and Running (real slow!)

You can view this assignment by clicking on the appropriate link of my ETEC 522 ePortfolio page.

MALTS – mobile android language training system

Unfortunately, you will need to login.

User: misscastonguay

Pass: homepage

Sorry, but it’s a PPT, I had planed on recording it using Camtasia Studio 6 but after 5 attempts, I gave up. It would appear that CS6 does not take too kindly to embedded media? In any case, I’m just glad it’s done! Please keep in mind that some elements of this presentation are fictive and that regrettably did not land a job at Robot-Hosting!

1 Sarah Wood { 11.24.08 at 2:13 pm }

Hi Nancy,

I am able to log in, save the zip files and extract them, but I am unable to see/find the presentaion – any hints?

Thanks,
Sarah

2 Carolann Fraenkel { 11.26.08 at 5:15 pm }

Hi Nancy,

Can you resave the files in the old .ppt format, they are currently .pptx and I can’t read them.

Thanks

Carolann

3 David Wees { 11.26.08 at 7:41 pm }

Assessing the Need

Your pitch has a clear description of where a need exists for your technology. Language acquisition is clearly more successful when the conversation is more natural.

Well-defined Target

Your target audience is defined and makes sense.

Management

You’ve done a good job of introducing the management team, and explaining why you are the best people for this venture.

Creativity

Your idea is extremely creative and innovative.

Feasibility

I’m not sure about the feasibility of your idea. I think the idea of distributed learning over the mobile phone platform is a good one, but what concerns me is the technology on the server end. Is this possible, or are we seeing a glimpse into the future?

Planning

There is evidence of planning in your operation.

Operations

What platform is your technology intended for? Unfortunately different mobile companies use quite different technologies. Google’s phone is built on their own operating system and scripts have to be written in Java. The iPhone doesn’t support Flash, just a subset ofHTML + JavaScript to my understanding. This makes coding for these platforms difficult.

Sustainability

The one issue that crops up often in mobiel apps is “the latest and greatest”. In order for an application to become a permanent fixture, it must evolve so that users think they have the latest and best thing. Otherwise your competition passes you and steals all your customers.

Social Impact

The social impact of being able to learn through your mobile phone is huge. SOO many people have mobile phones, harnessing them for educational purposes would be huge.

Presentation

Your presentation is clear and easy to follow. I liked the format, it was easy to read and to go back and forth between slides when I needed.

Comments
Very good idea, my only question is on the feasibility. I don’t know how possible this idea is, do you have any realistic data similar programs?

4 Carolann Fraenkel { 11.26.08 at 7:55 pm }

Hi Nancy,

I finally borrowed a PC with the new Office 2007 and had a look at your presentation. I liked the format, it was easy to look at and follow.

Your idea is interesting, and innovative, so you get points there. My only issue is that I think you may be a little bit ahead of the game. I’m not sure the world is ready for this yet, and as David mentions, the platform incompatibility is the biggest issue at the moment. If this venture is going to fly you will have to be ready to adapt to new changes in platforms and adapt the software.

Nicely done, but sorry no money.

Carolann

5 cwickes { 11.27.08 at 9:45 pm }

Hi Nancy,
I’ve tried several times; downloaded your files and tried to extract them, etc. but can’t seem to do it. Sorry.
Cori

6 Ellen Wu { 11.27.08 at 11:00 pm }

Hi Nancy,

I’m having the same problem that others are having. I can’t open your PowerPoint presentation.

Ellen

7 D.B. { 11.28.08 at 1:04 am }

Nancy,

I too don’t have Powerpoint that handles the PPTX, but I was able to view it manually and listen to the individual audio tracks. Have you thought about using Slideshare.net with a .PPT file?

Content comments:

Very neat idea. I look forward to seeing how long it will be before natural language analysis can be done in a computer and get it to understand context etc. Now THAT would be quite astounding.

Good graphics and background information as well. It’s quite evident that you’ve given it a bit of thought! The layout and graphics are very engaging and work well with what you are pitching.

8 Susan Wilson { 11.28.08 at 8:46 pm }

Nancy Castonguay – MALTS

Wow, Nancy, your idea is certainly unique and your pitch is certainly convincing.

I am not sure if I missed something though as I do not understand what I, as an EVA am being asked for. Do you need a monetary investment to start your business? What are your plans for developing a prototype? For field testing? Or for implementation? Do you have an exit strategy?

I will not pretend to have understood all of the information pertaining to AI, but you seemed quite knowledgeable and trust-worthy in your presentation. I am comforted to see the list of experts that share the venture responsibilities with you. One small thing that erodes a bit of confidence in the technological ability of your company is the presence of the audio icons on each slide of the powerpoint.

Overall, I would like to see your product in action and hear about field-testing success before committing any money.

Susan

9 nancy castonguay { 11.29.08 at 9:38 am }

Sorry about all the glitches. I used Office 2007, this may be why many of you are not able to access the files. As I struggled to meet the deadline of midnight, I had to make some concessions with respect to the audio icons. This was never intended to be a ppt. but rather, I was going to use Camtasia to complete the project. Unfortunately, Camtasia did not record parts of my presentation, even after 5 tries. Thanks for all the great comments, I will try an make the format a little more palatable for the rest of you. 😉

10 Melissa Anders { 11.29.08 at 5:30 pm }

Hi Nancy,
I think this is a fascinating idea. The whole personal and contextual aspect to these types of learning software is key. You mentioned Rosetta Stone in your pitch and I think that is one thing that is missing from their product that you are offering.

You have surrounded yourself with a very capable management team, but I found that section to go on for a little too long, especially being right at the beginning of the presentation. I was anxious to hear about the product!

Great job,

Melissa

11 fetya { 11.30.08 at 9:40 pm }

Hi Nancy!

Any language learning system is of interest to me! I have to say what you bring forth is very original. I am happy you mentioned Rosetta Stone as I did benefit of the comparison and it helped me understand MALTS better.

The need for language acquisition is established and I think universally agreed upon (well, I exaggerate). I am not sure however that the customer/buyer was clearly mentioned during the presentation (although it is possible that I’ve missed it).

Overall, the pitch was succinct, easy to understand, and visually appealing. It definitely piqued my curiosity, and I would probably research more about AI before being able to make a decision.

Great work Nancy!