The Lesson of EVA Fatigue

I’m pleased to see the level of activity within the Venture Forum so far.

One of the potentially less-obvious learning objectives of module 12 is also one of the most important for the whole course, so I’m taking this opportunity to highlight it.

Right after handing in your A3, which I’m sure each of you feels is brilliant (that goes with the entrepreneur/intrapreneur territory), you step into the shoes of an investor or executive who sees so many proposals that they’re numb.  Any set of venture proposals will seem like a dog’s breakfast to every potential investor or decision maker.  The only thing that can make yours stand out is you: you have to inspire them with confidence that you can actually do this thing you’re talking about, and you have to make sure that nothing in your pitch diminishes that confidence.
Simple, isn’t it?
DavidV

1 Gillian Gunderson { 11.26.08 at 3:32 pm }

Hi, David,

Ha, simple!

Do investors ever provide feedback to entrapreneurs or, due to the sheer number of ventures they have to evaluate, is it simply a “yes” or “no”.

Gillian

2 David Vogt { 11.27.08 at 6:45 am }

Good question. Most often it’s simply a “no”. It’s very, very rarely a “yes” – even if they like some part of it, the only way you’ll know that at first is that they’re asking additional tough questions. Extremely few investors feel “teachable moments”….