W13: Who owns the future of learning?

This is a Discussion Post related to the final week of 522.

Who owns the future of learning? Now that we’re concluding our journey I’ll ask you to reflect on the famous Margaret Meade quote: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” in terms of education often seeming like an intractable chaos of government, corporations, missionaries, and tricksters. In particular, now that 522 has provoked you, what do you feel your obligation in this ownership is, and do you feel you have the capacity to do something about it?

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Read through a set of existing responses below, if there are any.  Use the Thumbs Up tool to recommend any within your set that you believe are exceptionally valuable, or that you strongly agree with. Use the Thumbs Down tool only if, in your opinion, the response does not add value to the discussion.
  2. If you have something new and valuable to add, use the Comment field at the bottom of this post to contribute your original thoughts, or click on Reply to any existing Comment to contribute to that thread.

12 responses to “W13: Who owns the future of learning?”

1. julio palacios
    If ETEC522 has provided me with anything, it is the insight needed to approach educational trends and educational technology with a grounded and analytical perspective. As education continues to be the focus of much bleeding edge innovation, it is the role of the educator as well as the EVA to differentiate glitter from gold. By coupling the grounded analytical insight I acquired in ETEC522 with the wealth of knowledge I’ve obtained throughout the MET experience, I feel confident that I can now position myself as an educational technologies gatekeeper who uses research, learning theory and market awareness to align the educational technology I use and purchase with my institution’s directives and my learner’s goals. Although I don’t foresee myself venturing into the role of an entrepreneur, I do feel empowered to view my current role as an educator and administrator with a refreshed perspective that is eager to identify pain points, research solutions and contribute in steering the direction of my department and the learners it supports.
    1. Michael Saretzky
      Wow Julio, I was just about to start typing and I decided to take a look at what you had and I am glad that looked, as I would have echoed a lot of what you said. The first time I thought of taking my Master’s in Educational Technology was after a PD on TPACK and it made me think about the waste of money and time there can be within educational technology. Coincidentally, I feel that it was my final two courses, ETEC 522 and ETEC 524, that helped me grow the most with this critical eye. Like you I do not feel I am cut out for the venture world, unless I could do so with a safety net. However, I do feel much better equipped with judging the technology that is entering the school and even the set up that there could be for a school, I actually just put my name forward today to be on a design committee for a new school on my division and I hope to bring the insight I have from the MET program, specifically these past two courses.
  2. adrian wheeler
    I started the MET program to get a different understanding and perspective on educational technology. As an IT professional I am often the “technical expert” brought in when new technology is being considered or integrated. I quickly discovered that gaining an understanding of pedagogy and learning with educators could allow me to step into their shoes and bring more value to my department through a more diverse mindset. the MET program has been doing exactly that and ETEC 522 has given me a further perspective by illuminating the role and mindset of the entrepreneur, the venture analyst and more broadly, the business side of educational technology. This has afforded me further insight into industry I work in and has been very helpful when dealing with vendors, or researching and integrating new technology. Of further note, I have never been attracted to the idea of creating my own venture, but this course has ignited some excitement and opened my eyes to the possibility.
  3. Rachel
    Julio, Michael, and Adrian have summarized how I feel and thank you! I gained a whole new appreciation of the different tools and services we see in educational technologies and I also felt more confident to voice my ideas, whether it be concerns or agreements, when I spot something in this current remote learning world. Coming from an educational administration perspective, many of the concepts introduced in this course are rather foreign to me. However, I do see how this course works well with other MET courses I have completed so far and A3 was almost a final project for the MET program in some ways to me.
  4. AmandaKong
    Hello everyone ETEC 522 learning experience has undoubtedly ignited my passion and desire to learn more about the future of learning. Times have changed and the field of education needs to embrace these changes. From an evolutionary standpoint, we need to adapt to these changes to survive through the chaos. I believe that as human beings, we have the capacity to think and cooperate together to make changes in society. It is what makes us remarkable. Unfortunately, we are living in times of divisiveness, I feel we have the capacity to promote so much goodness. As educators, we have the power to teach the future generation to think critically and independently. The internet and the rise of technology are powerful but the content/data is only meaningful if we choose to use it wisely in our applications and ventures. I have learned to view from an EVA’s perspective, which has enriched my understanding and awareness. The current education market is full of potential, I hope we will continue to develop products, services, and ideas that help us grow stronger as a community. Thank you all for this eye-opening experience. 
    1. adrian wheeler
      Hi Amanda, I really appreciate your focus on positive change and building a community. I agree that community is so important and we have an excellent opportunity to take technology and use it to further these goals.
      1. AmandaKong
        Hi Adrian Thanks, it is so important to focus on positive changes!
  5. sundeep lail
    This course has definitely opened my eyes to a new way of looking at the future of learning, especially in terms of the venture side of technology learning. It definitely made me think outside of the box, and enriched and educated my knowledge in an area I would never had thought I would look at. The idea that we can change how people view, learn and what information we give them based on what we have seen as needed, is definitely a power. This course has piqued my interest in looking at learning technology from an EVA perspective and I am hoping to put some of that knowledge into my work. Definitely from my work perspective, our funders have the ultimate say since they are the ones with the capital, however, as an individual who understands what is needed on the frontlines, I truly feel I can have a say in what is provided for our teachers. I want to show the funders and our upper management what is out there, empower our teachers to really dig deeper in to the world of technology and help support and possibly create products that will ultimately give rise to a group of educators who get excited about learning technology. Overall, I truly enjoyed this experience and hope to continue learning within this frame of ventures in learning technology.
  6. Vijaya Jammi
    ” What I am demanding of other people is what I am demanding of myself”. This is another quote of Margaret Meade, which inspires committed individuals to do their part, big or small, in whatever capacity they can. Inspired by this, when I reflect on the question “who owns the future of education”, my answer would be, everyone of us! As my part of contribution to the future of learning community, I always believed, learning and disseminating knowledge would be the ideal help I can extend to the field of education. Although I have been an instructor for considerable years of my life, I realize the need to keep pace with the change, and be the link to bridge and facilitate a smooth passage for onward progress of learners. The field of technology is bound to drive the future of education through myriad paths and unexplored means. And, I have always been a curious spectator of this field. I felt the need to, but never been a participant in terms of researching, reviewing, analyzing and contributing to the subject of educational technology. ETEC 522 gave me this amazing opportunity of doing this. As I reach this concluding part of the course, I feel more confident of doing my part for the future of education, as one of the more informed stakeholders of education.
  7. Alice Shin
    So, ‘Who owns the future of learning?’ While a select few may actually go on to create significant and lasting change, the cliche response may be that, we all basically own the future of learning, as both educators/trainers who create content and innovative ways to teach, and learners who show the market the preferred – and ultimately the best – ways to learn, demanding this be met. My personal response to this question as well as where I see my place in it – I deliberately chose ETEC522 as my very first course to dive into the deep end of EdTech and it’s definitely felt that way at times! Do I feel I have the capacity to help shape the future of learning? I definitely want to and hope I do. There is so much to know and learn and absorbing everything will continue after this course has ended, but I’ll move ahead with valuable knowledge, tools and insights to build on, as well as some friends too! I know I want to remain in anything related to Adult Education and training and engage in managing the incredible changes we are experiencing as we digitize our workplaces. To do this, I will remain as an intrapreneur for now and see what opportunities arise to contribute to learning and technology over time.
  8. Jessica Daicos
    In the first week of ETEC 565E, we were shown the video of Flight of the Hummingbird, an indigenous parable about the environment (https://youtu.be/naj6zZakgEg). To summarize, the hummingbird carries water, drop by drop, onto the forest fire while all the other animals stand by the massive blaze, because the hummingbird is “doing what I can”. While one part of me understands the empowerment of this message, the other part of me still wonders what the point is of putting drops of water on a wildfire. Does that basically mean that we have no real power? Particularly when surrounded by the “intractable chaos of government, corporations, missionaries, and tricksters”? My obligation in this ownership? If anything, I have begun to want to affect change on a wider scale than a class of students. Though I don’t deny the power of changing individual lives, I would like to now work on a bigger scale. EdTech ventures definitely tick that box, in terms of scalability. I do feel like I have the capacity to do something about it, but I think it comes down to working outside the broken system. There’s the Buckminster Fuller quote, “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” So, I guess that’s where 522 fits in… developing the capacity to build a new model.
  9. paul johnson
    The future of learning is a product of the society it is immersed in, this means that there are many influences on the direction of education. Business, for better or worse, have influence over education because materialism and consumerism are underpinnings to our society. The result is that education has to meet students where they are and provide learning within the social realities in which they work, and big business has influence on the technologies and resources that society utilizes. The open market then is a reflection of the wishes of the people; bad ideas fail and good ideas succeed. What has prevalence, is then a product of the choices people make. Education systems need to reflect these realities so though big business has influence on education, it’s ultimately the will of the people that guide its direction. So, I guess, the answer is that people have control over the direction of education.