Would you support implementing FOSS/OSS in your work environment?

Absolutely! Here’s why:

As I mentioned as a comment on this week’s presentation website, I rarely, purchase proprietary software. My software needs are usually taken care of by OSS, so there is no need for me to go out and spend money. I find OSS cheap, easy to use, and very efficient. My instructional designs make use of OSS as well mostly due to the conditions under which I teach.  There is generally no extra funds for software in my school division, unless it is determined that a program is required as a learning adaption.

Having said this, there exists an on-going debate whether to choose PS over OSS as we plan for the future regarding the use of technology in my school division. There are those who appreciate the affordability of OSS and those who feel that the cost of PS is justified due to the support and quality of the software. This was an argument outlined in this week’s module, so I’m going to assume that it is quite common. Another important discussion is occurring in regards to the old “PC vc Mac” debate. Interestingly, those in favour of going with Macs are also strong supporters and advocates for OSS whereas PC lovers praise PS.

Hmm?

1 Barrie Carter { 10.25.09 at 10:20 am }

Hello Erik:

Hm! I mostly use MAC and I always buy proprietary software.

However, I have installed/used some OSS, but I always end up deleting them because they are not always user-friendly to the point of ‘plug-n-play’ or ‘push-play-walk away’. Yes, I am impatient. Yes, I want things to work with great ease. And, yes, I am not computer savvy. Perhaps that is why I am biased.

Most of my OSS downloads come from the following URLs:
http://www.opensourcemac.org/
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/

Lastly, I still enjoy using VLC as a video player, for it plays many formats (unlike QuickTime, for example).

Cheers,

2 Barbara { 10.25.09 at 8:47 pm }

I find this MAC vs PC comment interesting. I wonder why that is because Apple folks are definitely not promoting OSS or at least they weren’t. Is this trend changing? These links that you are adding are Apple pages. Has the trend been reversed?

3 Amy Frank { 11.04.09 at 8:02 pm }

Hi Erik,
I am personally a fan of free. In fact, I find in my job that it takes so much time and jumping through hoops to get new software, that finding something free is easier. I am also a big fan of taking advantage of free trials. 🙂 I couldn’t have finished many of my MET courses without free trial periods.

As for preferences, I am PC user (mainly because that is what we could afford at the time, not for any other reason), and I love OSS.

Thanks,
Amy