I <3 my e-reader!

I share a number of the same experiences with Brenda regarding my e-reader.  I first bought a Sony PRS-600 after seeing my husband enjoy his Aluratek Libre for under $100 at Costco. We had just come back from Palm Springs and, like Brenda, had paid $50 for being 5 kg overweight in our luggage. Both of us had brought 6 library books with us for a one week holiday, so couldn’t leave them behind (or the 1.5 L of alcohol and the 6 new pairs of shoes!!)

Needless to say, I am a voracious novel reader, and belong to a book club, but I shopped around before committing to the Sony because I was looking for a number of features that I thought would help with the mountain of reading I had to do for ETEC 511. I wanted to make notes by hand or type, hilite, and annotate the digital pdf’s, all of which the Sony did handily. It had a non-glare screen that was easy on the eyes compared to a  computer, and came with a funky little book light attachment.

So two years have passed and what do I think of my discontinued model?  Well, I didn’t use the features that I thought I would, but I read it during the two hour commute to and from Richmond, and love the ability to “turn pages” with a swipe of my finger. I think a network-capable model would be useful, but since I am too cheap to pay for a data plan for my iPhone, the odds I would use it are low. I use a free and openware program called Calibre to organize and transfer a variety of ebook formats in place of the clunky Reader Library software that came with the device. I would love to see e-versions of all reading materials available, especially for special needs students, and think that the multimedia possibilities would add amazing depth to comprehension and enjoyment of the reading experience.

Oh!  What am I reading now? I just finished Abraham Verghese’s “Cutting For Stone“, and cried on the bus. Good thing the electronics on the e-reader are well sealed…

Posted in: Week 06: eBooks