The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing

The Red Umbrella Mixed Media Collage

Making Sense of It All

I chose this mixed media image as it summarizes many of my personal and professional interactions with text and technology. It seems like the young lady is seeking answers from the ancients in the horizontal script while new age pieces of data are falling upon her from above.
Yet, given her attire (umbrella and rain coat) she is prepared to meet the challenges of meshing the old with the new i.e., creating synthesis. I believe I am beginning to find this place of synthesis with my old world skills and attitudes and my new age Web 2.0 abilities.
I also find the juxtaposition with this transpiring out in nature to be a vivid reminder of our connections to the natural world and this is something we must never loose regardless of our reliance upon the new technologies.
My name is Drew Ryan and this is my final course in the MET program. I have been living and teaching on the West Coast of Vancouver Island for 14 years with my wife Christine and sons Tylan (3) and Tayte (15months). My passion is the integration of technology within the K-12 system focussing on First Nations learners. I look forward to this course and its completion:)

1 Laurie Trepanier { 09.11.09 at 8:21 pm }

Hi Drew,
It is nice to be able to study with you in this last course. You must be very content that it is almost over (the MET program).

Laurie

2 Stephanie (Prizeman) Hopkins { 09.12.09 at 10:16 am }

Hi Drew,

Great image choice. I look forward to working/sharing with you in the course and perhaps within the district’s Tech Integration Network (if that is still a “go”) again.

Cheers,
Stephanie

3 Drew Ryan { 09.12.09 at 12:34 pm }

Nice to hear from you Laurie and Stephanie:) Yes, it has been a fun and educational road though I’m glad to be nearing the end.

Stephanie, yes it will be nice having someone in the district to work with. I know Rob Souther finished this summer and is looking forward to applying all his new tricks:

Talk with you soon,

Drew