The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing

Rip.Mix and Feed Animoto

I opted to use Animoto.com for my rip.mix.feed contribution. It’s a Web 2.0 tool that bills itself as “the end of slideshows.”  It allows the user to combine images and music (which you supply or choose from their selections) in a type of music video/mashup.  The site takes care of  transitions between the images using a variety of effects adjusting timing to the chosen music.  The free version (which I used) is limited to 30-second compositions.  All of the images I used, apart from the first one, I found in Flickr searches for images with creative commons licensing. (I have a list of all the Flickr URLs and if anyone is interested I can post it as an attachment.)  The start image was generated with the Bart Simpson chalk board generator.   The number of images one can squeeze into 30 seconds varies somewhat depending on the music selected, but is around 15-18.  Fast-paced tunes show the slides more quickly and use a few more images than slower ones.  The site allows for easy remixes, and it’s possible to add and remove images until the desired effect is achieved.  It’s also possible to get stuck endlessly tweaking while looking for the ‘perfect’ edit (don’t ask me how I know…).  I’ll post links to two versions that use the same images but different music.  The first, which I not very creatively called Text technologies 1, uses 30 seconds of a song called Finally by the Sunday Runners.  The second, Text technologies v.2, uses a faster indie piece called 1234 by Fake which I enjoy for its lyrics: “I’m just sick of my school, and my teacher’s a fool..” Certainly, many Web 2.0 tools are fun and engaging.  Every time I (re-)make this realization I tell myself that I have to get more creative about encorporating them into my lessons!

1 Erin Gillespie { 12.01.09 at 6:23 am }

Great work and thanks for the Bart generator! I agree “re-realizing” to include more meaningful and effective Web 2.0 tools is something to be aware of as a teacher of the new Net Generation!

2 Drew Ryan { 12.01.09 at 8:57 am }

Philip,
very catchy; both versions. Storyboarding what images, sounds, etc. would be used and why (to what effect) would be a valuable learning opportunity for students and teachers when using a resource like this. Like Erin, I’ll be adding this site and the Bart generator to my bookmarks.

Thanks,
Drew