Text as an evolutionary imperative

Aesops Fables page 462Picture By perpetualplum Sue Clark

I chose this image from Aesop’s Fables because for me, text and technology is an extension of the characteristic that, in my mind anyway, makes us human: The transmission of culture and knowledge to our offspring. This creation, expansion and permutation of our body of knowledge allowed us as developing hominids to go further than our ancestors, and to become the most successful predators around. We created the technology of text to further this, and I see it as an expression of our evolutionary imperative to share our ideas, create social bodies, and learn and teach.

My undergraduate degree is in physical anthropology and evolutionary biology. I taught elementary school in Toronto for 8 years, but have recently escaped. I now design online courses in continuing education for social workers.

I live in Toronto with my husband and cats. This is my seventh MET course, and I have to say that working through the courses has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done academically. I look forward to working with everyone. ~ Annette

This entry was posted in Image Feed (Flickr), Technology, Text. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Text as an evolutionary imperative

1. Al Davidson says:

Great to have you in the course Annette. I look forward to hearing more about your ideas on humanism and technology, on-line instructional design, and your ‘escape’ from elementary school 🙂

Al

2. lesliedawes says:

I liked your image of Aesop Fables. I have always liked and learned from them. I now try to impart their wisdom to my Grade One students. I have a feeling you have much wisdom to impart to us all. Good to have you in the class.

Leslie

3. deedee says:

Hi Annette,
    Beautiful image!
    Looking forward to being in the course with you and to learning more about your talent for designing on-line courses in continuing education.
    Happy to hear that working through the MET courses has been richly rewarding for you!

Dee Dee

4. blamb says:

What a pleasing piece of typography and layout. I always loved Aesop’s Fables as a kid, reminds me to dig up a volume to share with my own son. Hope I can find a volume as attractive as this one,