Text

Thinking about text got me reflecting on the famous writers of all time. One of my favourites has to be William Shakespeare. I have read, seen, heard,and watched probably most of the plays written. I still find them most fascinating. I have heard many colleagues and friends voice less enthusiatic responses, but I am still captivated. In searching for a quote that could sum up TEXT I happened upon this particular one. “My words fly up, my thoughts remain below: Words without thoughts never to heaven go.” ..William Shakespeare.
To me having visited Shakespeare’s birthplace and attended a play in Stratford -upon-Avon, any reference to writing cited by Shakespeare causes me to reflect deeply on the meaning. This quote I feel is saying that text is empty if not supported by meaning from the writer. Words are just words and they are empty without meaning and purpose.
Expression and intent need to accompany the words to create meaning. Profound text has over the centuries been evident of the greatest writer of all times.
This quote is pointing out that text needs to be backed by intent and some writings are more powerful than others. Text can be a powerful medium.
Leslie

This entry was posted in Text. Bookmark the permalink.