Fascination with technology

Hi! My name is Rocky Lam. I am currently working at an international school in Hong Kong, teaching Year 2, or Grade 1. (We run a British adapted curriculum, but I am certified in Alberta and Ontario.) This will be my fourth year teaching and my very first MET course. I grew up in Hong Kong when I was little, and immigrated to Toronto, Canada since the age of 9. I completed both of my undergraduate degrees at Queen’s University, and subsequently obtained my Specialist in English Language Learning.

I am interested in all facets of technology. At my last school in Macau, I was lucky enough to be integrated with so much technology in the classroom, Macbooks, iPads and SMARTBoards, to explore new ways that promote learning. With this abundance of technology, I sometimes find it confusing to navigate and being in control. There are so much that children know that I learn from everyday. One of the reasons why I chose this particular image because it contrasts so much from what I remember from childhood, in which technology has become such a necessity that even toddlers gain regular access to them. Watching videos, playing interactive games, or taking pictures with the camera with anything that starts with i- (iPod, iPhone, iPad). In many ways, these activities engage and stimulate children and provide them with the tools of this new technological era. However,  I think about how much more we rely on these devices and its significance to student learning. But, that raises many issues: how much time is too much time spent? How much does technology raise student achievement? Can we measure student learning through teaching through these devices?

The modern toddler iPad experience

But don’t get me wrong, I love technology, where my iPad device simplifies my life, with email, Facebook and everything nice. At the same time, I keep thinking about when I forgot to charge my iPad overnight. What did I have the next day? A rectangular black mirror.

Rocky Lam

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Fascination with technology