John Lee – Feeling Like Charlie

Five-Oh!

I enjoyed Flowers for Algernon earlier in life, but have found new connections as I grow older, especially as I feel my mental abilities fading. I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old and have just regained some semblance of a sleep cycle after 6 years of deprivation. I blame them for most of my cognitive impairment.

Along with this cognitive impairment, I find an impatience with technology in general. I’ve jumped on several bandwagons hoping for a solution, but ultimately end up disappointed with my ability to use technology in the way that I want. No tablet takes input as quickly, flexibly and clearly as pen on paper. E-readers lack the element of physical memory which allow me to “feel” what part of the book I was in, or where that one fact was around. I even find items like this course outline frustrating as I open three tabs in order to follow instructions, open the blog and locate the password at the same time.

But when I get it together enough to stop shaking my fist at the world, I teach Gr. 6 at a small school in southwest Ontario. This is my 6th MET course and my 10th or 11th year teaching. I’m currently try to remain in my house while we add a second floor and move the kitchen. I don’t recommend it. I see some familiar names in the introductions and I’m looking forward to working with you all this term.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to John Lee – Feeling Like Charlie

1. smyers says:

Hi John:
    I agree – there is just something physically lacking when holding an e-reader. There is something sacred about the ability to feel the book in your hands.