The Technology to Accumulate Text

Reflecting on the meanings behind “text” and “technology,” I wanted to explore the seemingly inverse relationship between the progressively large cumulative total of text that has been created and is being saved and stored, and the increasing ease and indiscretion with which we store our text.

I took this photo as a personal reflection on Moore’s Law, which was described in his 1965 paper  Cramming more components onto integrated circuits. Moore observed that the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubled approximately every two years. Related to Moore’s Law is Mark Kryder’s (2005) observation that hard drives are shrinking at a much faster pace than the doubling transistor count. The slowly shrinking physical size and radically expanding storage capacities evidenced in this picture serve to illustrate the work of these two researchers.

Please visit this photo on flickr to view my recollections and experiences with each type of storage, and I invite you to add your own notes sharing your memories as well.

This entry was posted in Technology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to The Technology to Accumulate Text