Text – an undefinable term?

I have often heard people say that text is one of those “undefinable” terms. Although, I am not sure I agree that it is completely undefinable, I do think that the word text brings forward different meanings for different people based on their age, culture, education etc. Text to me is anything that is used to conveyed meaning whether it is writing, symbols, signs etc. Text goes back to markings on caves that were used to convey meaning to others all the way to today’s use of text in its written form. Just in the short time that I have been a part of this course I am already beginning to redefine my thinking about things such as text and technology. They seem to encompass so much more then I once imagined them to!

I chose the wordle below because I think it illustrates how many different things come to mind when we speak about text. Text is not just the writing on this page, it encompasses so many other things when we begin to look at the definition in a broader sense.

This entry was posted in Text. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Text – an undefinable term?

1. Sheila says:

nice wordle! I love the visual structures of text… even just the typefaces….