Technology – Perpetual Change

In our readings, O’Donnell and Engell stresses that we should use technology as a learning tool. When I think of technology, it centralizes on the idea of “Control”. Who is controlling who? Are we that reliant on technology that it will one day control us? Or are we able to sit back a day or two without technology and lead a life with fewer distraction. This course has made me reflect back to when Toronto had its huge blackout day in 2008. Although it brought many people to their knees, not being able to phone, watch TV or drive. It also provided a time for many people to bond, to eat together, to talk to one another.

Everywhere I go, it seems that looking at smartphones around the dinner table is the norm, where if you’re not checking the newest apps on your phone, you are not with the “in” crowd. As Postman and maybacon have both desperately alluded to, we need to be able to have balance in our lives, so we do not turn out to be the monkey man bound to its computer forever.

Image retrieved from:
http://www.etechmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Tech-Evolution.jpg

References:
Postman, N. (1992). Technopoly: The surrender of culture to technology. New York: Vintage Books.

This entry was posted in Technology and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Technology – Perpetual Change