Text and Literacy

Coffee Texting

This picture grabbed my attention as it depicts a social situation that puzzles me on a regular basis. It has become such a common experience to see people of all ages out and about in social situations with their attention focused solely on their cellphones. I often ponder whether social media will render “traditional” social experiences obsolete.

My name is Sabrina Quigley. I teach K-2 in a small rural school in Southern Saskatchewan. This is my seventh course in the MET program. The course is of great interest to me as reading, writing and speaking are areas of intense focus in primary classrooms and technology is having a drastic influence of the development and use of these skills. I apologize for the late response but I have experienced nothing but trouble with Connect lately. On the rare occasion that I have been able to get logged on at all, my computer ends up frozen and useless. I am hoping to have better luck with it soon. I look forward to working with you this semester.

About Sabrina

Hi. I am an elementary teacher at Pangman School in Saskatchewan, Canada. I teach in a multi grade Kindergarten, Grade One and Grade Two classroom. I am currently taking my first MET class. I have my B.Ed. from the University of Regina. I convocated with honours in 2003.
This entry was posted in Introductions. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Text and Literacy

1. Kim Wagner says:

Hi Sabrina,

Nice to see you again here! I concur on the Blackboard front.

2. marirei says:

Hi Sabrina,

I had the same problem with Connect last week, it seems to be better now.
    Regarding the picture you chose, it’s really sad to see how some people cannot disconnect from their cellphones these days.

Cheers,
    Mariana

3. msheidi says:

Great image Sabrina,

I too am puzzled as I have witnessed first hand this situation, only I was the one who didn’t have my phone with me. I just kinda sat there awhile before one of my friends finished and then put their phone down.

Looking forward to learning with you how technology is changing the spaces of reading and writing.

Heidi