Volunteer Work

In 2005, while living in New Delhi, India, I heard about a non-profit organization called ANK that works with children who have never had access to formal education or who have not been successful in the government education system. To see a copy of ANK’s brochure, click ANK Brochure. ANK’s long term goal is to achieve a better tomorrow through the medium of education and unleash the power of knowledge that is inaccessible to millions. Their mission is to empower the poor through knowledge, health care, education, vocational training and commitment. Their immediate goals are to provide and impart literacy in the three R’s (reading, writing, and arithmetic); provide age appropriate learning to all children, computer literacy to the extent possible, cultural activities, health and hygiene maintenance, and opportunities for children from all sectors of society to intermingle.

Since 2005, I have been volunteering in a number of different capacities with ANK. Some of these include:

• Establishing international art exchanges between ANK and elementary schools in Canada through the University of Victoria’s Childrens Global Arts Project
  • Providing fundraising support to ANK through public education presentations, refundable recyclables drives, and through creating and selling ANK fundraising calendars in Canada
  • Teaching a number of different subjects to the children including art and english.

To view the 2007-2008 Annual Report for ANK, click ANK Annual report 07-08

ANK 2008 fundraising calendar cover and back

ANK 2008 fundraising calendar sample page

I have been committed to sharing my experiences with my local community, and have given several presentations at the Greater Victoria Public Library, University of Victoria, and other local venues.

To view an advertisement for a presentation entitled Making a Difference In India in the April – June 2007 Adult Program Guide for the Greater Victoria Public Library, click  GVPL April – June 2007 Adult Program Guide