Home » A2.Self Guided Learning

A2.Self Guided Learning

The group project done for ETEC 522 was an investigation into self guided learning. The presentation was constructed over several weeks by 6 members (myself included) of the OER team. Our work was launched in week 11. We met each week using Skype, GoogleDocs and the Wikispaces site.

The group project is presented here: http://522etec.wikispaces.com/Home+-+Main+Menu

I created two video montages to kick off the week using Audacity and iMovie. The first video had the right message but images were disconnected and meaningless without key words or contexts.

Images were collected from Flikr Creative Commons and Open Images. (http://youtu.be/yJaQJVnY5gY)

Launch #1:

Launch video #2 and Message:

The second effort linked to the group wiki content and process thus providing a better ‘pitch’ for the learning to occur in this venture. The introduction text message was drafted in the google doc and edited by group members before being uploaded to the course blog, as seen here.

My introduction created for the ‘Meet the Team’ page

(created using Animoto)

Make your own slide show at Animoto.

Individual tasks contributed to the wiki work that was completed prior to the launch of the group presentation. I was directly responsible for included the introduction to the topic, terms and definitions, the summary of the 27 principles, and the poll/survey activites.  As part of the group work, each member worked on creating an analysis of SGL learning ventures, using the SGL chart I developed from the research.  This became the framework that was integrated into individual investigations into self-guided learning ventures for the course members.

Within the wiki, we established a sub-page where course participants could post their own venture analysis. In order to encourage them to contribute, two members of the group (myself being one) added a venture analysis so the page was not empty when others came to see what to do in this activity. My contribution was a summary of The Eduventurist Project, a crowd-sourced e-venture.

Recovering from Technical Issues: Once the group presentation launched, I monitored the survey and polls daily. My adventures on Monday of our presentation week began with an unexpected glitch in collecting poll data. Four venture analyses were showcased with a poll attached to see if classmates would invest or purchase the learning products as analyzed. These polls were created using Free Online Survey. Once the week was launched, I discovered that the permissions for analytics on each of the poll questions was disabled due to my ‘free’ 10 day access having run out. So, I very quickly opened another free account, redid the poll questions, relinked them to the poll icon in the wiki and tested them to make sure they worked. Crisis averted! Analytics will happen at the end of the week. The results to all the poll/surveys embedded in the wiki will provide interesting feedback for all course participants. The results were posted daily at the bottom of the poll page of the wiki.

Project Done: Once the week was done, the group gathered in skype to review the week and determine outcomes from the week’s events. Our final task was to submit to the Horizon Navigator site. This was accomplished with a little help. Confirmation of our contribution was the end result.

Required fields are marked *

c
compose new post
j
next post/next comment
k
previous post/previous comment
r
reply
o
show/hide comments
t
go to top
l
go to login
h
show/hide help
esc
cancel