There are too many little things that make up my days here: chilly walks to the grocery store, train rides to Oslo, afternoon saunas, morning coffees before class, slipping and sliding on icy roads, sitting close to windows while indoors to soak up precious rays of sunlight, and lately, scanning prices of cheap flights on the internet…

Hi again loyal blog readers. Are you still there??

I admit that I’ve been unfair to you this past month because of my lack of updates. Rest assured that it was not without good reason! In the last four weeks I’ve found myself in different cities and countries across Europe, from Copenhagen to Cologne. I’ve frequented the Oslo airport so many times that I know the entire airport layout corner to corner (no big deal, it’s actually tiny).

First, I thought I might tell you the highlight of my month. But there are too many moments for me to count and pick just one. A major highlight has been travelling around Europe. I spent a weekend in Copenhagen with a friend which was lovely.

Waiting for our Cruise to leave the Oslo harbour for Copenhagen!

I also spent a long weekend in Germany with some family enjoying the Cologne Carnival (a week-long celebration with parades, costumes, parties, sweets, pastries and of course, beer!).

The streets of Cologne, Germany on carnival weekend

In between weekends out-of-town, I had an old friend visit and we toured around Oslo. I’ve also been keeping myself busy with school activities. I joined a floor hockey team at the university and I’m taking a yoga class. Between all this, I somehow have time to do class readings!

With the unusual amount of travel I have been doing lately, I’ve noticed a shift in my mindset when I arrive in a new place. I feel less pressure to see and do everything, to buy souvenirs and take photos in front of famous monuments. I find more interest in taking time to observe everyday life. It’s like I’ve shifted from ‘tourist mode’ to ‘travel mode’ – this is my theory anyways.

‘Travel mode’ feels natural. It’s the same feeling I have when I return to my favourite places in my own city, Vancouver. It is an exciting familiarity and a numbing comfort. But here in Norway and in Europe, I have to keep reminding myself not to get too comfortable.

Buns in an Oslo bakery
Buns in an Oslo bakery

Now if there is one thing in my life that has changed the most while coming on exchange, it is, surprisingly, my perception of being a student. Maybe its because I have met students from all over the world here. Or it could be because I am taking a couple masters level courses (in Norway a bachelor degree is only three years and I’m in my fourth year at UBC). Maybe it is because I am deeply interested in the courses I am taking. Or because I have more freedom to determine my own schedule. I can’t quite pinpoint where my change in perception is coming from.

School here doesn’t feel like school. It doesn’t feel like a chore. It feels like an opportunity that I have to work for; like a blank page I can draw on instead of a picture I have to colour in. I think it is, overall, this blissful combination and integration of travel and learning. It feels good.

More updates soon.

-V