People say that it takes about 3 months to get completely settled in a new environment or routine. It’s been about three months since I arrived in Norway. Admittedly, I’ve spent a fair portion of these three months in other parts of Europe. Maybe that’s why I still don’t feel entirely adjusted or settled. I also don’t think I ever will, and I think that’s a good thing.

The thing I’ve realized is that exchange is like living in a temporary world. It’s a place where each moment seems more special than your life at home simply because you get to “report back” to friends and family about your newfound adventurous life. It may seem like this on the outside, but on the inside it’s a constant effort to adjust and readjust to rapidly changing environments.

In March I spent a weekend in a camper van above the arctic circle chasing the northern lights.

IMG_1304             IMG_1301 IMG_1341

Then I spent a weekend in Paris biking around the city, indulging in pastries and architectural displays.                                                                                                                           Processed with VSCOcam with b1 preset Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Finally I spent a week in Spain; a few days at a festival in Valencia and another few exploring the hip, seaside streets of Barcelona!

IMG_1915                      IMG_2054 Processed with VSCO with f2 preset

It sounds like an epic life, yes, and it has been amazing! I feel like a well-seasoned traveller – being able to pack my bags on short notice, navigate public transportation systems in any city and scope out free wifi on command.

Travelling is also exhausting. It drains you more than you realize, until you return to a familiar place (in my case Norway) and feel the need to hibernate for about 24 hours.

After I returned from Spain a few days ago I was so happy to come back to my familiar little room in Norway. It was sad and scary to hear about recent terror attacks all over the world: in Turkey, Cote d’Ivore, Iraq, Belgium and others. Especially while travelling around Europe, you feel the impacts and you feel closer to it all. In Paris, Valencia and Barcelona there were armed police at many streets and metro stations. When I returned to Norway, security was checking everyone’s passports as soon as we got off the plane (even though we were flying within the EU and normally there are no border controls).

While in Paris, I paid a visit to the memorial for victims of terrorism at Place de la République.

IMG_1624 IMG_1625

I think that one of the greatest skills to have is the ability to adapt. In doing so, you can learn to have ultimate control over situations in your life. Yes, travelling may be tiring, expensive, frustrating and scary at times. But I think it’s one of the best ways to challenge yourself by getting away from everything that is familiar and learning so much along the way.

You can take a look at more photos from my busy travel month that was March here.

More updates to come soon!

-V