Culture jamming assignment

Culture Jamming Assignment

GSRJ300

Noah Li Fang

4224 0457

The advertisement I would like to analyze is a masterpiece from Supreme – a famous fashion clothing line. I was mesmerized by this photograph and I could not take my eyes off it. Well, of course, it is the figure of the model that first grasped my attention. However, after spending some time trying to interpret its message, I realized how ingenious this piece of the ad actually is. Firstly, Supreme obviously placed its logo on the most interesting part of a women’s body. With half of the model’s backside showing, nobody will miss the big red label yelling “Supreme”. With their slogan “Get Your Bold On” written on the model’s backside, it certainly will not go unnoticed. So, what does it take to ‘get your bold on’? I am not exactly sure, but remember Supreme does not design or sell any kind of bottoms. That explains why the model is only wearing a black top as Supreme directs customers’ undivided attention to their top. Ingenious isn’t it? Hold on, there is more. In conventional marketing strategies, marketing teams had been racking their brains for ways to appeal and to please customers for decades. And here we have a Supremes’ model who doesn’t even bother putting on pants pointing middle finger at potential customers. Why is that? It’s because Supreme knows its customers well. This ad will surely put off some senior and middle-aged shoppers. However, the younger generation who grew up in a society with excessive exposure to profanities and sex, it would be widely perceived as cool and unique. This ad effectively identifies their potential customers and advertise to them directly. Despite the ingenious effort in advertising, I believe Supreme is promoting the wrong value. There is nothing supreme or bold about not wearing pants and point middle fingers. The ad is surely empowering from a feminist perspective as the model seems confident and defiant of social norms and also not afraid to say “F**k you” to judgemental views. With the ridiculous price tag slapped onto their merchandize, Supreme needs a slap back to reality and reassess their added values.

Supreme somehow believes slapping their brand name on anything will immediately increase its value. Their most hilarious creations was a crowbar and a clay brick. The crowbar is being resold for $300 apiece and $200 is the price tag for a brick. Some argue that Supreme is walking at the frontline of the fashion industry that few could fathom. In my opinion, calling it fashion is stretching it. So, what is fueling their continual success? It is ‘Hype’. The hype is associated with excessive publicity and promotion which is something the younger generation desperately seeks. They believe by wearing such ‘hype’ and expensive clothing elevates their social status. They can then show-off in front of their friends and feel ‘good’ when being admired or complimented for their fashion choice. These fashion fans will also frequently upload photos of themselves wearing expensive clothing onto social media platforms to receive more Likes. And again, feel ‘good’ about themselves in the process. In my opinion, ‘Hype’ is the epitome of consumerism and materialism. People are lining up through the night and spending hundreds to buy something that has little intrinsic value. Like Supreme, the brand is solely built on the values that consumers allocated to them, not what they offer. Unlike Louis Vuitton, it was reported that an LV luggage was found in the sunken Titanic and the contents were dry due to superior waterproofing technology. Or Canada Goose jackets that use superior material and can resist low temperature down to minus 50 degrees. Both offer life-time quality assurance too. What does Supreme offer? Nothing. Mind you their most popular item, a black t-shirt with a tiny “Supreme” logo printed, goes for $500. In my opinion, there is no element of art or design or quality of material that goes into their product. Their products designs are similar to drawing of a 3-year-old than coming from a studio of professional designers. In summary, Supreme does not offer the equivalent value of their price tag. It is simply vain and falsely glorifying to purchase their products just so others can complement it. However, we are living in a capitalist society with a free-market economy, maximizing shareholders’ wealth is the only goal that needs to be pursued. Therefore, it is entirely up to the judgments of the consumers to decide what is good for them.