(LAST UPDATED: 2013-09-17)
Welcome to FREN 101 (and, in term 2, 102). On this site, you will find the basic documentation for the course:
- the syllabus and weekly schedule
- what textbook do you need? = Horizons, 5th edition + iLrn access code
- how do the online exercises work? how do you register at iLrn?
- what information is needed for iLrn registration?
- what’s my course code?
- what’s the language lab?
- where is the language lab?
- when is the language lab?
- if you haven’t yet registered on iLrn, see here on setting up an account:
—READ THIS GUIDE FIRST AND KEEP IT OPEN IN ANOTHER TAB ON YOUR COMPUTER WHILE YOU ARE REGISTERING AT ILRN—
Course materials: introduction to iLrn
course = FREN 101
course code = DGDCTM366
- and then join the right class (ex. Section 101)
- About the language lab: what it is, where, when, and what you should bring with you
- Labs start in week 3 (16-20 September) for “A” groups, in week 4 (23-27 September) for “B” groups
- The language lab schedule (for “A” groups and for “B” groups)
- What you’ll do in your first lab (the others will follow a similar pattern):
“A” groups (week of 16-20 September)
“B” groups (week of 23-27 September)
The full list of items on this site (see also menu on your right):
- the description and syllabus
- the general weekly schedule, for all sections
- information on the required course materials
- a quick guide on how to register at iLrn (so as to acces your ebook and online exercises; the latter count for 10% of your final grade), and on how to complete the iLrn online exercises
- iLrn further links: FAQ, user guide, etc.
- information on the language lab (for all sections except 901)
- links to UBC resources and further information: the SSC, the French, Hispanic & Italian Studies department, etc.
- links for further information on French at UBC, in Francophone Vancouver, and further afield (ex. free TV online)
- links for free French dictionaries online
All attached documents (ex. the syllabus) are in PDF so as to be openable using any software, hardware, and operating system.
All links open in new windows/tabs.
Further questions, uncertainties, other issues: please contact the course co-ordinator:
office hours: Monday & Thursday, 4:00 – 5:30 p.m., in Buchanan Tower 728
She reads her email regularly between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. and should reply within 24 hours, sooner depending on the urgency of the matter.