Recent Posts

Archive for the 'Reflections and Comments' Category

Construction Continues

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012

I have continued constructions in my own learning. ETEC 590 is now well underway and I have begun constructing my e-portfolio. This is the captstone project for the MET program. It is created during the time in the course, with support and feedback from peers and the instructor. Since my successful constructions of artifacts for […]

Constructing Artifacts

Thursday, July 12th, 2012

I am challenged in both my thinking and my doing with the courses I am taking. While constructivist teaching and learning is being embedded deeply into my educational practices, is is enough to keep me constructing artifacts. I am required for course work to construct an online teaching unit with embedded constructivist principles. I am […]

New Horizons

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012

I have now begun my journey into two new courses – ETEC 522 Ventures in Learning and ETEC 530 Constructivism. As I examine the course outlines and expectations, both courses will challenge my thinking and expand my horizons. The introduction to the forum for ETEC 522, a community blog rather than WebCT, is extending my […]

Research Completion

Friday, April 27th, 2012

Research completion is a contradiction in terms. ETEC 500 is now complete. My discovery at the end of this course journey is that research is never complete. Research continues, since good research links forward to further questions. A research report, journal article or presentation at a conference, leads to other questions. Thus, ‘research completion’ is […]

Research in motion

Friday, January 20th, 2012

I have begun my adventures into research with the beginning of ETEC 500. The introductions are complete and first module is well under way. I have read the opening chapters of the text Educational Research: Competencies for Analysis and Applications by L.R. Gay, Geoffrey E. Mills and Peter Airasian. Despite the content and subject matter, […]

Electronic Text

Tuesday, October 18th, 2011

My thoughts turned to the ideas Bolter presented about electronic text being inclusive, constructive and malleable. The video, Information R/evolution, presentation by M. Wesch, demonstrated each of these qualities in dramatic fashion. Electronic text is inclusive in the way it accepts and incorporates graphics and elements beyond alphabetic writing (eg. :D). Bolter describe it as […]

Learning Theories Compared

Friday, September 30th, 2011

1. Which theory offers more for education? Both theories apply task analysis, task breakdown into component parts, the creation of specific learning goals and measuring student responses through their observable actions. Social Cognitive Theories, however, provide more to an educational setting since the focus is on the learner rather than the instructor. The learner, in […]

Thinking and thinking ….

Friday, September 30th, 2011

I have come to a startling discovery. Thinking about thinking makes your head hurt! I have been working on TWO courses for my MET program – ETEC 512 and ETEC 540. Both have required me to read abundantly, organize, reflect and write. Each course has its unique qualities and characteristics. Both together are making my […]

Voice of One in the Crowd

Monday, July 11th, 2011

This week’s topic in ETEC 565 is blogging and the wisdom of the crowd. I reflected, read and came across a wealth of voices in the crowd, each one sharing something important about the topic of blogging in educational settings. Here is my response: I came across this blog post in my wanderings and had […]

Interesting HTML

Sunday, June 5th, 2011

Here is some html code I discovered at http://abowman.com/google-modules/dog/. There are a few interesting ones, but this one really caught my eye. The animated image of the dog will respond to the items at the bottom of the screen. Try throwing some doggie treats or a red ball, and watch what happens. The html coding […]