Managing Exam Stress

Stress can negatively impact your health and academic performance. With exam season looming, it is important to take some time to identify stress management techniques you can use this coming month.  There are many ways to cope with stress, whether it’s engaging in physical activity, interacting socially or taking time to relax and do something you enjoy.  Think outside the box and don’t be afraid to try something new!

• Make music. Drumming in particular has been shown to be an effective way to release stress. Check out the Jericho Drum Circle.
  • Develop your green thumb. The combination of being outdoors, creating a connection with nature and doing something physical makes gardening a fantastic stress buster. No garden? Help out at a community garden.
  • Dance.  Dance away your stress at a folk dancing, belly dancing or ballroom dancing class offered through the West Point Grey community centre.
  • Enjoy art. Research suggests that spending time to reflect on art can be calming. Immerse yourself by visiting the Museum of Anthropology or the Vancouver Art Gallery.
  • Get outdoors.  Enjoy the fresh air and sunshine – when it’s not raining of course . Visit Nitobe Memorial Garden or Stanley Park or anywhere really.
  • Be creative.  You don’t have to be Michelangelo to benefit from taking time to indulge your creative side.  On campus, the GSS is running a “Craft Your Own Jewelery” workshop.
  • Sweat. This one is a no-brainer, but exercise really is a great way to relieve stress. Exercise outdoors if you can or with a buddy.  If you enjoy team sports, consider dropping in on a game offered through UBC REC, West Point Grey community centre or your local YMCA.

Remember, don’t feel guilty forgoing the library to take time for yourself – self-maintenance is just as important as studying when it comes to academic success.  And be sure to kick off this exam period in the right direction – come out to  “Stress Less for Exam Success“  on April 4th.  There will be a lot of great events, including an animal therapy session and a FREE Healthy Minds breakfast offered in the CSI from 9:30-11.

Nitobe Memorial Garden

Take time to breath in Nitobe Memorial Garden

One thought on “Managing Exam Stress

1. This is so true! Last year, I had a really intense exam scheduled and instead of stopping to look after myself, I decided to go to yoga every day. It made such a difference. I was calm, relaxed and felt I could focus much better on my work. Thanks for the reminder :) I’ll do this again this term.