How Your Body Posture Can Affect Your Well-being

Sometimes I find myself slouching so hard I’m almost slipping off my chair. Reading, writing and typing for a long time can often be stressful and as students, we spend a lot of time doing this! It is really important that we position our bodies in a way that avoids back, shoulder and neck pain.

Here are a few ways you can take care of your body’s structure and posture while you study:

• Sitting at an angle of 110-135 degrees has been shown to be optimal for spine comfort
  • Since we aren’t always aware of the angle we’re sitting at (we’re human after all), it is also beneficial to keep changing your posture so you aren’t in one, set position for a very long period of time.
  • Neck rolls can be a great way to unwind the tension build up on your shoulders and lower back.

• If you have been writing or typing for an extended period, a few wrist exercises can be a satisfying way to release tension build up.

3         2

• When you aren’t studying, take a few minutes to do a power-pose!

Power-posing: coined by Social Psychologist, Amy Cuddy describes a body posture that can develop and positively shape the way you see yourself as well as the way others see you. Consciously changing your posture to be more open and extended can actually change the levels of cortisol and serotonin in your brain, consequently changing the way you feel about yourself! So basically instead of curling yourself into a nutshell, just sit up (or stand) and spread your body as if you were a butterfly for a minute or two, and (trust me I’ve tried it) you will feel like one for sure.

That’s all folks, good luck with midterms and remember to keep smiling!