Our Blog Has Moved!

Posted by: | April 3, 2012

Thank you for visiting the Healthy UBC Blog. In January of 2012 we merged our blog with our monthly newsletter. Click here to be taken to the current Healthy UBC Newsletter and Blog.  You can also follow us on Twitter @healthyUBC.

[Continue Reading ...]

Filed under: Uncategorized

Navigating Eldercare

Posted by: | December 1, 2011

Over the last six months or so, I’ve become responsible for my Dad as his health declines.  I called our Employee Family Assistance Program Provider (Homewood Human Solutions) to ask if they could help me to better understand care facilities for my Dad’s future care a few months ago.  It was helpful, but merely a […]

[Continue Reading ...]

Filed under: Uncategorized

December Health Hero: Prioritizing Work-Life Balance

Posted by: | December 1, 2011

Bobbi MacDonald loves books.  It is no surprise then that she has been working in various roles at the UBC Bookstore for 12 years.   You may have met her in her current role at the Front Information Desk at the UBC Bookstore, helping customers find the books or gifts they need.  She has been an […]

[Continue Reading ...]

Filed under: Health Hero

Give the Gift of Food

Posted by: | November 30, 2011

Too often the holiday season becomes a time of stress and worry with heavy emphasis on spending. This annual tradition leaves me feeling exhausted after a whirlwind of buying, wrapping and giving that seems to be over before I am mentally ready for it to start.  Last year I decided that things needed to change.  […]

[Continue Reading ...]

Filed under: Miranda Massie

Stop a Cold with your Fridge

Posted by: | November 18, 2011

I have noticed something going around lately.  It is that invisible wonder that inevitably creeps up as the days grow colder and the hours of darkness stretch longer.  It travels on the bus with us, through handshakes and has the capability to wipe out entire departments and classrooms at the same time.  It has kept […]

[Continue Reading ...]

Filed under: Miranda Massie

Health Hero: Diabetes Researchers

Posted by: | November 2, 2011

In honour of Diabetes Awareness Month, we are celebrating the work of Professor Timothy Kieffer and his colleagues in the Diabetes Research Group. Diabetes is characterized by elevated blood glucose levels due to insufficient levels of insulin. The amazing research being done by Dr. Kieffer’s “Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Medicine”, a team of about […]

[Continue Reading ...]

Filed under: Health Hero

I am Leaving for Change!

Posted by: | November 2, 2011

I don’t have all the details yet, but I’m so excited to announce that for 3 weeks next spring I will be going on the UBC Leave for Change program.  It looks like I’ll be doing organizational change in Africa, but that’s yet to be confirmed. A really important part of health is intellectual health.  […]

[Continue Reading ...]

Filed under: Uncategorized

Do you have a game plan?

Posted by: | October 24, 2011

On a daily basis we are bombarded by research in the media with respect to practically every aspect of our mental and physical wellbeing.  With each passing day there is something else out there that will kill us, give us cancer or leach radiation into our brains.  While I am not dismissing these claims as […]

[Continue Reading ...]

Filed under: Miranda Massie

Thriving at UBC

Posted by: | October 18, 2011

This week is our busiest of the year: UBC Thrive.  Lots of you hear me talk about it, see me tweet about it and so many of you are kind enough to support it. We are releasing videos this week, featuring faculty and staff (including our wonderful UBC President, Professor Stephen Toope) talking about how […]

[Continue Reading ...]

Filed under: Suzanne Jolly

October Health Hero: UBC Food for the Soul

Posted by: | October 5, 2011

“Food is medicine. People say healthy food is expensive. So which would you rather do? Pay upfront now for your food, or pay later when you end up in the hospital bed? Healthy foods give healthy minds. If you give someone greasy dull food, their minds will also be greasy and dull.” -Steve Golob, Residence […]

[Continue Reading ...]

Filed under: Health Hero

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia