Reflections on Running…and Running Aground

Posted by: | June 17, 2010

Mom and I heading out for the 2010 SunRun

I walked/ran the Sun Run with my Mom this year, and was so inspired by the event.  In my role at UBC advocating for everyone to get moving and be healthy, I was so proud of the many departments running their hearts out together.  Congratulations to all of the UBC teams and thanks to all of you for role modeling healthy behavior at UBC.

I have to admit that I have abhorred running for the last few years. It is only because of the Sun Run last year (and my mother’s encouragement) that I have taken to running at all.  Running was supremely difficult for me because I was out of cardiovascular shape.  While I may look as though I am in good shape, that does not mean that I am healthy!

I was surprised to find how much I craved running the week after this year’s Sun Run. If you had been on the corner of Maple and 10th on May 11 around 6:00 p.m., you would have witnessed me running by with confidence near the end of my 5 km run.  You also would had a rather spectacular view of a runner falling on the sidewalk.

Yes, that was me, sprawled, bleeding from the knees, wrists and hands, crying on the cement.  I would like to think that you would have been nice enough to help me up, unlike most of my fine neighbors. Thanks though, to the kind older woman who eventually walked by and expressed concern…and asked me if I was merely crying out of embarrassment.

I admit that since nursing my gashes on my knees and remarkable road rash on my shoulder from this fall, I have fallen out of love with running again.

Luckily, however, I am forced to continue running, simply due to my recent investment in new trail runners.  The hundred dollar flashy black and pink running shoes are a long-term investment in my health: it seems that if we make an investment in our health, then we are more likely to continue our healthy behaviors.

So let me not labour you with more whining about my wounds.  Instead, here is what I have learned from my experience:

1. If I hadn’t been thinking about and looking at the art gallery across the street (ironically called Grace, I might add), I would have noticed the cracks and bumps in the sidewalk.
  2. If I wasn’t such a new runner, I would have thought about the route I had chosen (there’s a much nicer sidewalk across the street which would have been less of an obstacle!).
  3. If I hadn’t been so stubborn, I would have joined the local running group that starts just a few blocks away- and then I would have at least had someone to point out the obstacle and pick me up if I still ended up on the ground in tears.

So there are some things to consider:

1. How do you invest in your health?  What purchase could help you move from thinking to doing?
  2. Could you fit in some extra activity?  What about during lunchtime or after work?
  3. What are you doing to prevent injury and accidents while you exercise?
    a. Have you looked into finding safe trail runs to avoid the hard-on-the-joints cement?
    b. Do you have a running buddy for your own safety?
    c. Could you find a class or book to learn more about a new sport you’ve decided to take on?
    d. Are you outfitting yourself with the right equipment for your activities?

Filed under: Suzanne Jolly | Tags: ,

2 Responses to “Reflections on Running…and Running Aground”

1. Leanor Davidson says:

I like your approach to motivating yourself and others. Sound advice all around and I hope you will get feedback this summer but more likely this Fall. Leanor

2. Suzanne says:

Thanks Mom! (At least my Mom reads my blog!) 🙂

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia