Go Veg and Fight Global Warming

Posted by: | August 11, 2010

Raised vegetarian since the age of 12, I’ve experienced little temptation to eat meat. Steaks and roasts were never something that appeared on my plate, although, I will admit wild salmon delicately displayed as nigiri sush makes me question myself sometimes.

Originally it was my Mum who made the decision for our family to stop eating meat, the reason being primarily health driven. It wasn’t until I fully understood the environmental impact of eating meat that I decided to make it a lifetime commitment for myself.

Although I’m no tree hugger, I am an advocate for making small changes in my daily life to help reduce my carbon footprint. I’ve discovered one of the easiest ways to accomplish this (and with the biggest impact) is to continue along my meatless path.

So let me put this into perspective for you. Each year, as a vegetarian, I am able to save more than 100 animals by eliminating meat form my diet but also through opposing the industry. It’s all about supply and demand, when the demand is not present farmers are no longer forced to produce unimaginable (and unethical) quantities of meat. This reduces the risk of overcrowded farms, inhumane treatment of animals and inadequate standards . I wouldn’t call myself an activist, I am more concerned about the impact these ‘cutlets’ have on our earth.

As I’m sure you know, cattle are one of the largest producers of methane gas. This just happens to be a very prominent greenhouse gas in the earth’s atmosphere. The production of beef also contributes to the growing amount of carbon-dioxide through the transportation of both meat itself and feed for the cow.

One thing I’ve always found troubling about beef is the ratio between the food we put in and the food we end up with. It can take as much as 10 to 16 pounds of grain to yield a single pound of edible beef. The water in production and processing has similar proportions. I’ll admit I’m no genius but I think I may be on to something here; who’s up for solving world hunger?

One thing at a time, so where do you begin?  A simple and effective way to start giving back to mother earth is to reduce your beef intake just a little. With literally every plate you will be supporting a more sustainable earth and reducing your carbon footprint by the bite. If you want to be a real warrior, I invite you to eliminate meat Monday to Friday. This modification can reduce your carbon footprint by as much as 70%! Now that’s progress.

Easier said then done, I understand these things won’t happen overnight. Remember, progress over perfection. My next challenge is to move into a completely dairy free diet. I’ve began making the move though it is going to be next to impossible for me, especially with Costco’s consistent $7.99 wheel of brie cheese special.

I feel your pain omnivores, but encourage you to try. One meal always makes a difference. So what did you eat (or not eat) today?

Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , ,

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia