Pets: The all-natural stress remedy

Posted by: | August 19, 2010

There is truly nothing more comforting for me than the kind and constant purr of my fluffy counterparts. Chowder, a seal point Himalayan, and Dottie, a lilac Ragdoll, seem to have mastered the art of mending any sort of woe for me (except of course the anguish caused by their endlessly shedding hair).I’ve always had a soft spot for animals and find they provide me with that simple warmth unattainable elsewhere.

As a university student, one of the hardest things I found about moving away from home was leaving my pets. Having always grown up in a house filled with animals, it became more difficult as time went on to be pet-free. I understand this may be tough to grasp for someone who’s always been pet-less, though the feeling I get when they welcome me home each day provides a unique type of joy and feeling of companionship.

In my final year at school I decided it was time to invest my savings, and emotions, in a beautiful baby kitten (who so lovingly peed on my bed that first night). I played with Chowder on study breaks, cuddled him on the couch and watched him flamboyantly flail around my apartment as he grew. I just loved him!

I quickly found myself smiling more, laughing more and stressing less. Although this was an added responsibility it eased the pressure I was experiencing from both school deadlines and hectic work schedules. I believe as humans we have this innate desire to love and care for others, and Chowder allowed me to do just that. The nurturing I provided him inadvertently nurtured me.

After moving me and my ball of fur to Vancouver from Ontario a couple of years ago, I granted Chowder the privilege of companionship himself. And being the good Samaritan I am, I adopted a timid yet endlessly loving young cat from the SPCA. Dottie’s presence in the house only improved my mood further. Chowder on the other hand, was thrown for a bit of a loop when he was suddenly forced to share the attention.

I can truly say that since living with animals again, my emotional wellbeing has unquestionably improved. Now when I start to feel overwhelmed, I know spending a few moments with them will relax me and inevitable allow me to approach any situation with more confidence and strength. I am seldom bogged down with the stress and strain of daily occurrences, which once caused much grief and angst. I had certainly overlooked, or perhaps not yet realized, this benefit of pet owning in the past.

As cheesy as it sounds, my kitties really have provided a very unique remedy for stress in my life. This is however, only one of the many “therapies”. For more info on the power of pets, check out this video. Can you offer any tips or tricks for easing the stress of daily living and reaching a state of relaxation?

Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: , , ,

One Response to “Pets: The all-natural stress remedy”

1. Rachelle says:

First, I’d like to say that your cats are just beautiful! My husband & I are both cat people by nature (we love dogs, too, and really want a canine, but let’s face it, you are either one or the other. I think a person’s innate pet preference is embedded in our cellular makeup). We have 2 little fur-children, Maui & Hermes, and to say we adore them would be a fairly substantial understatement. We are THOSE people…

I agree, there’s nothing so rewarding as an animal that welcomes you home at the end of a day, or rests on your lap while you type away at your blog. They make you slow down and appreciate the small stuff (especially the small stuff that they will inevitably and repeatedly swat under the fridge). We haven’t had cable TV for about 6 years, but who needs it when you have your very own comedians in the house?

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia