Using My Benefits

Posted by: | September 1, 2010

I try not to blog in a way that sounds like I’m always lauding the joys of working for UBC, but the only thing I want to blog to you about today (and yesterday in fact too), is how much I love my benefits. Let me explain why this week, I have come to really appreciate the benefits we have for working here at UBC:

1. I needed some pharmaceuticals to help deal with a very painful couple of ribs. Sadly, it’s not from a great outdoors adventure: it’s from a coughing fit.  (Let’s not start me talking about that).  My extended benefits covered 80% of the cost of the drugs, making them easily affordable. That is a great thing.

2.  It was recommended by the doctor that I get some massage therapy to help me with the fact that my whole left side was seizing around these sore ribs.  Massage therapy is also partially covered, with a doctor’s note. This is also a great thing.

I also really like the new UBC Benefits website (congrats to my colleagues in HR who worked so hard on that!).  It looks great, and I was able to easily find the information that I needed, to confirm what I thought I had. 

I’m constantly surprised at what our benefits covers. So if you haven’t taken a look lately, check it out!  And here’s to hoping that all these benefits help me have a speedy recovery for my ribs, so that my mental health doesn’t suffer too badly from not being able to be active.

Filed under: Suzanne Jolly | Tags: , , , ,

2 Responses to “Using My Benefits”

1. Michelle says:

Good luck getting back in the game Suzanne!

2. nic says:

i love that massage therapy is covered and have been taking advantage of this benefit for the past year. i see a sport massage therapist regularly as a preventative measure – i play alot of sport and would like to avoid injuries!

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia