Rebellion Against Dressing: Taste Your Veggies!

Posted by: | October 12, 2010

I laugh at how much I enjoyed salads at restaurants but dreaded eating them at home.  But when you’re treating yourself to dinner out, who really wants to get a salad?  I complain that I can’t seem to make a really good salad at home, with that sweet, savory salad dressing, for example.  I was puzzled, “How do those chefs make such good salads?”

I had a friend over for dinner this weekend, and I made a nice side salad for dinner. He took one bite and said, “This is such a good salad.”  I really do think it was the highlight of the entire meal, despite the grilled steaks and amazing garlic mashed potatoes (which is definitely hard for salad to compete with, in my books!)

The trick to this salad was diversity:

• 3 different kinds of sprouts
  • spinach
  • tomatoes
  • artichoke hearts
  • pumpkin seeds
  • tamari almonds
  • a small dose of olive oil and balsamic vinegar

I had it for lunch today too. It was so good, even though I ran out of balsamic vinegar.  I thought it wouldn’t taste very good, but then I realized how GOOD VEGETABLES TASTE.  I’ve put that in capitals, on purpose, I might add. Because when was the last time you actually tasted your vegetables, as opposed to slathering them in dressing or hummus or something else?  Why does our culture insist that these very savoury, healthy foods be covered in something to make them tolerable to the palate!?

I have to wonder what salad dressing company managed to take over our plates…

So I dare you. Make yourself a salad with a little sea salt, or some nuts and berries, and taste each vegetable. They have great flavour!

Filed under: Suzanne Jolly | Tags: , ,

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia