Remembering the Awesome-ness

Posted by: | October 19, 2010

I recently had a major jealousy problem. The green eyed monster seemed to appear everywhere, but mainly it focused on this one woman who I felt had everything that I wanted. I wanted her life.  Now, you all know I live a pretty beautiful life, but for some reason this woman seemed to always have everything I wanted.  She seemed SO happy, content, popular, fulfilled, and this meant that everyone else noticed it, so she became more happy, more content and more popular.

I honestly have not had a case of jealous this badly in years. I cannot remember ever having it this badly, actually.

But then I got to know the woman and realized that I was doing something very common: “Comparing my insides to her outsides.”  It turns out that she struggles and in fact, she used to be far less confident a few years ago.  It turns out that her path mirrors mine in a lot of ways.

Comparing how we feel on the inside to how people look on the outside (not knowing how they feel on the inside), is a dangerous thing. It’s caused me to forget my awesome-ness.  I know, somewhere in me that I’m awesome (I hope you don’t mind me mentioning that! :)).  But it’s easy to forget.

So I was really touched when my chiropractor’s office was doing a book of awesomeness with their clients, based on the Book of Awesome (http://1000awesomethings.com/book/).  I thought I’d pass it on: what’s your awesome-ness that you have forgotten recently?

My awesome is that I have an ability to make others laugh and think more about their own self-worth.

Filed under: Suzanne Jolly | Tags: , ,

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia