Empower the Men in Your Life

Posted by: | November 23, 2010

Last week HSE hosted its first workshop specifically on men’s health issues. Dr. Hal Gunn of Inspire Health presented “Cancer and Men: What You Need to Know”, which was very well received by its participants. As some of you may know, sparking the interest between men and their health is not always an easy task so we wanted to provide content that was specific to men for once.

This is, of course, a generalization as there are plenty of male leaders in the health industry; however it is commonly known that women are the ones typically making health decisions in households.

It was amazing to see so many men (and a few women too) taking action and investing in their health. The questions from the floor were fabulous and several participants even waited afterwards to ask a few more.

For all the men reading, I challenge you to take action in some small way by getting more informed about your health today. And for the women, I encourage you to empower the men in your life (family, friends and colleagues) to do the same. Get started now by checking out the upcoming Healthy UBC Programs, exploring the EFAP program and understanding your benefits.

Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , ,

One Response to “Empower the Men in Your Life”

1. Nick McKeen says:

Just read about this workshop, I wish I had made it. My father passed on from cancer and it would have been great to find out what Dr. Gunn had to say.

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia