I’m on the Run Again

Posted by: | December 9, 2010

I saw someone from my department running the other day.  I was with another colleague who mentioned that she was running again.  Then another colleague mentioned how he was running as well.  My cubicle neighbour also turned me down on doing lunch because she was going for a run instead.

That’s called positive peer pressure.  Although none of them turned to me and asked me, “Why aren’t YOU running anymore, Suzanne!?”  (They’re all too kind to me).  It put a little bug in my brain, and finally, on Tuesday night I packed up my things and went to work ready for a run.

I let a few folks know that I was going to spend my lunch running (when the rain died down a little). One of them was kind enough to mention a few times that the rain had stopped.  Without her polite nudges, I likely wouldn’t have made it from my desk chair.

So off I went, got changed, pulled a cap down over my face so none of you would recognize me, and ran.

I can do kilometers on my skis for days in a row, but it is obvious that is a different movement for my body, because I ran for only ~20 minutes (~3 kms) and an hour or two later I was sore!  It’s one of those “good sore” feelings in the muscles though. 

I’ve been, honestly, really lacking in activity throughout the week. I get home from work and crash into bed. So I’m going to try to start running at least once/week. It looks like Wednesdays. I’m putting it into my calendar for my lunch, and you can watch for me ducking around the puddles, red in the face, breathing profusely.

Cheers to my colleagues for helping me get off my lazy butt!

Filed under: Suzanne Jolly, Uncategorized | Tags: , , ,

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia