Got Screenings or Immunizations?

Posted by: | July 4, 2011

Due to the recent mumps advisory for the Lower Mainland, I have been thinking a lot about health screenings and immunizations.  I lived in the United States for five years, and I have also had multiple doctors in Canada (for a variety of reasons), so it has been difficult to determine which immunizations I have actually undergone.  Luckily I have my own family doctor now (having a family physician can help maintain good healthcare so the BC College of Physicians offers an online database of doctors accepting new patients: https://www.cpsbc.ca/node/216).  Keeping track of which health screenings or immunizations you are supposed to have, however, can be difficult, because these change with a number of factors (age, gender, location, family history, etcetera).

I think it is important to be a good health advocate for our own selves, so often I go out of my way to ask my doctor about tests that I have heard about, that may allow me to preventative or at least catch disease early. While my doctor- who is lovely- might become a little tired by my consistent advocacy, he seems to understand that I see it as an essential part of his service to me and my body.

I cannot find any comprehensive resource (such as a simple, beautiful chart) that I can share to help us all keep track of these things, however. So my colleagues joined me in a brainstorm to come up with a list of health screenings we all might want to consider, along with some additional links to understanding more about each of the screenings:

UBC faculty and staff that are determined to have exposures in their workplace  can also access services for immunizations, which include reminders to renew immunizations, etcetera, through Workplace Health Services.

The Canadian Task Force on Preventative Health Care is developing guidelines for screenings such as diabetes, child obesity, hypertension, diabetes, cervical cancer, etcetera. They also have made recommendations on screenings and treatments such as some really surprising findings about breast self-exams for breast cancer prevention.

British Columbia’s Ministry of Health in partnership with the BC Medical Association offers guidelines for BC physicians on best practices in diagnosis and treatment on a wide range of health issues: http://www.bcguidelines.ca.

The Public Health Agency offers a guide for parents about immunizations and the Canadian Immunization Guide, which can help lend some clarity.

If you are looking for something a little more holistic (rather than disease-oriented) for a self-assessment of health/wellness assessment, I personally like this one: http://www.definitionofwellness.com/

Filed under: Uncategorized

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia