Zucchini for Dessert

Posted by: | September 21, 2011

This past spring marked the first year that I have lived in a house with a garden of my own.  I was inspired, along with my housemates, to plant a conservative and fairly beginner vegetable garden.  For those of you with green thumbs out there, you know that gardening involves patience and the ability to find joy in caring and nurturing without necessarily seeing results right away.  I myself prefer looking after flowers since there is something visible and beautiful to motivate you in your watering right from the get go. 

After many impatient visits to our backyard over the past few months, I finally started to see growth and was very pleased with the end results: carrots, garlic, lettuce, peas and zucchini, lots of zucchini.  I have discovered that zucchini love to grow and that they will continue to grow until they reach often unimaginable proportions.  Now, I am sure that ours are not the biggest to have ever existed but, for novice gardeners, we were ready to enter our green monsters into the closest county fair! 

As a result of our crops, I have had to figure out a way to use the zucchini up before it goes bad.   After eating steamed, stir fried and grilled zucchini for several weeks now I decided it was time to look for other options.  This week I share with you a recipe for Zucchini-Chocolate Chip Muffins.  Delicious as breakfast, a desert or a snack and packed with a green vegetable often avoided for its texture or taste.

I doubled the recipe to use up more zucchini and put the second batch in the freezer.  From my garden to your table, enjoy!

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Combine the egg, oil, milk, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Filed under: Miranda Massie

3 Responses to “Zucchini for Dessert”

1. Sarah says:

Here’s another recipe that uses 2! cups of zucchini. Congratulations on your harvest and your creative uses of a great vegetable!

2. Jen says:

I use a similar recipe to make chocolate zuchinni cake that my friends love! I use cocoa add little chunks of a good dark chocolate bar and cut back on the sugar to make it healthy. Its a great way to use zuchinni!

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia