Stop a Cold with your Fridge

Posted by: | November 18, 2011

I have noticed something going around lately.  It is that invisible wonder that inevitably creeps up as the days grow colder and the hours of darkness stretch longer.  It travels on the bus with us, through handshakes and has the capability to wipe out entire departments and classrooms at the same time.  It has kept me chained to a Kleenex box for the last week.  I am talking about the common winter cold.

I read an article recently that looked at how food can contribute to a healthier immune system.  This suggestion goes beyond the notion that eating balanced, regular meals will keep us healthy.  The article examined specific foods that researchers have proven aid in improving immune functioning.  Our immune system uses cells called intraepithelial lymphocytes (IELs) that provide our first line of defence against infection.  Properties found in certain foods, particularly phytochemicals, ensure the proper functioning of our IELs cells.

Here is a list of immune boosting foods that I will definitely be adding to my diet over the coming weeks.  I’m hoping to kick this thing once and for all

• Cruciferous vegetables: These are veggies from the cabbage family known to contain phytochemicals, vitamins, minerals and fibre.
  •  Includes: Broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, bok choy and turnips

• Tomatoes, citrus and sweet potatoes: contain beta-carotene and vitamin C

• Garlic: has antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties that boost antibodies

• Cranberries: contain infection fighting anti-oxidants

• Stocks, soups and fluids: flush bacteria out of the body

• Honey: natural anti-inflammatory that kills bacteria and can help heal wounds

• Brazil nuts: contain selenium, a mineral that aids our body’s natural defences

Filed under: Miranda Massie

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia