Give the Gift of Food

Posted by: | November 30, 2011

Too often the holiday season becomes a time of stress and worry with heavy emphasis on spending. This annual tradition leaves me feeling exhausted after a whirlwind of buying, wrapping and giving that seems to be over before I am mentally ready for it to start. 

Last year I decided that things needed to change.  Instead of focusing on buying things I directed my energy to one of the great loves of my life-food!  I discovered that this shift in priorities led me to a more restful and fulfilling holiday season. 

I turned in my shopping bags for grocery bags and traded in late nights at the mall for evenings at home in front of my oven.  I wanted to give the gift of delicious comfort food, scrumptious cookies and warm baked goods to those around me.  What I uncovered was that the amount of time I spent shopping and the amount of money I expended consuming did not matter to those receiving.  No matter the size, they enjoyed receiving something homemade and I enjoyed opening  my visa bill come January.

I realize that cooking and baking may not be everyone’s passion or forte so I am going to share a few different ways to give the gift of homemade, heartfelt food that can work for everyone.

Know someone with a sweet tooth but don’t know flour from baking soda? 

Try the Vancouver Baker’s Market.  Here you will find items including artisan breads, French macarons, Belgian waffles and handmade chocolates.  Vegan and gluten free friendly treat are always available!

Want to put together a tummy warming casserole or steamy winter soup?

Visit the Winter Farmer’s Market.  It runs rain or shine and hosts over 50 stalls including fresh farm produce, food carts, jams and preserves and artisan crafts.

Looking for a unique gift from outside of the kitchen?

Stop by the Holiday Market, hosted by the Vancouver Farmer’s Market.  This one day event, on December 17, will have over 90 booths filled with food, art, crafts and home accessories.  

Give yourself the gift of relaxation this holiday season and give the ones you love something unique and delicious!

Filed under: Miranda Massie

One Response to “Give the Gift of Food”

1. Andrea says:

Great read! Thanks for the tips!

UBC a place of mind

Food of the Month

Oranges Every month, the Healthy UBC Blog highlights a locally available food, and gives you a recipe or two to try out.  This month, read all about mandarin oranges, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre and folate.

>> Food of the Month page.

Nothing on the Healthy UBC Blog should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Opinions offered in the blog are those of individuals and are not the official voice for any department at UBC.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Healthy UBC / Health Promotion Programs
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
50-2075 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1
Tel 604-822-8762
Fax 604-822-0572
Email:

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia