Welcome

I hope this will be the start of an online health community at UBC for staff and faculty.  I hope we will bring in voices from all over our organization, to focus on the positive movement towards being healthier people, a healthier community and a healthy UBC. So thank you for taking the time to participate by reading, but now I hope you’ll take the time reflect and respond.

We have chosen to blog because I know that (at least for me), conversations and stories about individuals inspire and motivate me in ways that doctors “should’s” and research studies’ findings never have.  I think we all know what we should be doing- it’s often the how and the when that is so difficult.

So this blog aims to help us with the how’s and the when’s, and sometimes will highlight the “what’s.”
For example:

1. How do I find a way to fit some physical activity into my work day?
  2. How does anyone, successfully, balance being a parent and an employee?
  3. Where is a quick, easy, comforting meal that I can scarf down between meetings?
  4. Where are the best places to eat a meal that can give me a mental rest from work and people?

I learned so much from blogging with my HSE colleagues on Mission Fit last year-  about myself, my health, my colleagues and health resources- that my colleague, Thea and I have decided to commit to sharing a weekly story/idea/resource/question about health with you.

Since both of us work in health promotions, we tend to come across resources and stories we think are worth sharing.  In addition to our own posts, we will have a monthly Healthy UBC Hero- a staff or faculty member who will share their own challenges and stories with you.  Also monthly, we’ll highlight an in-season vegetable or fruit  along with some recipes to help you incorporate it into a meal for you and your family.

I hope you’ll join me in this Healthy UBC community- share your ideas, suggestions, questions and thoughts, focusing on the positive movement to becoming healthy.  Feel free to invite your colleagues and family and friends to join the community too- they all have a great impact on our health.

All my best,

Suzanne