February 2011: Cabbage

Perhaps it is because of the popularity of the Cabbage Patch Kids when I was growing up, but I have definitely hesitated to consume this vegetable until recent years (perhaps this is simply true of a lot of vegetables, if you refer back to my bio). I actually only started consuming cabbage in any form because of a recommendation by my naturopath a few years ago.

Cabbage has some great health benefits, known for cancer-fighting properties just like broccoli and cauliflower. Plus, for those concerned with weight loss, cabbage has the least fat and least calories of any vegetable.

If you follow my blog, you will know that I recently returned from holidays in Mexico. For those of you who have travelled to Sayulita, Mexico, you will know that while there, you tend to consume a ton of fish tacos. The best fish tacos that I found were stuffed full of red cabbage.

So let me share a recipe for fish tacos, out of reverence to the many fish tacos that were made for me over the holidays!

I like this taco recipe, but honestly, you can make it healthier by leaving out the mayo and milk and simply adding some homemade guacamole (lime, cilantro, avocado, tomatoes all mashed together). Note that avocados are high in fat but in healthy fats, so if you are trying to watch your weight, then be mild with the guacamole!

One type of cabbage is bok choy, which I’ve recently started making at home (see the recipe below).

Garlic Ginger Bok Choy

Wash the bok choy, then steam it over boiling water for about 5 minutes.

In a bowl, mix crushed fresh garlic and ginger with reduced-sodium soy sauce and a tablespoon of sesame oil, then pour it over the bok choy on the plate.

Note: some people like to fry this all up, but it’s healthier to steam it!