November 2011: A World in Love with Carrots

Growing up, I knew that I needed to eat carrots to improve my eyesight. Much to my grown-up surprise, my family was not lying the consumption of carrots benefiting eye health is actually shown in evidenced-based research. In fact, I have discovered that carrots have more health benefits to offer than simply better eye health. From your eyes to your waist, this little orange root vegetable helps you in a number of ways. Carrots also fortunately are a key ingredient in one of my favourite soups: carrot ginger.

However, I did not choose to eat a lot of carrots as a child (or as an adult for that matter), due to the health benefit. Carrots are high in sugar so they are nicely sweet. Anyone who is trying to follow a low-carb diet or has diabetes, should consider carrots’ sugar content. In comparison against other foods available in the grocery store, carrots stack up pretty well on the health front; check out this interesting photo to see the comparison.

A quick additional note on carrots: although a great way to grab a quick snack, baby carrots are peeled. Peeling a carrot reduces its nutritional value.

I am amazed at the adoration of carrots around the world. Instead of giving you just one carrot recipe, this month I suggest that you feel free to browse the many options at Best Carrot Recipe.com.

If you want to learn more about carrots, there is even a carrot museum! World Carrot Museum.

If you just want to keep life a little less complicated, warm yourself and your family with this curry ginger carrot recipe.