October 2010: Beets

I grew up disgusted by beets since my Dad regularly boiled them for hours (often forgetting them on the stove). Burnt beets have a smell that you cannot easily forget! Then a few years ago, I had a salad at a restaurant in Vermont and there they were, standing in the way between my mouth and the rest of a very delicious salad. Much to my surprise, I was converted by that salad. Beets actually taste very good!

Cardiovascular disease is one of the major illnesses that we see amongst the population in North America these days, and it turns out that beets may be able to help us with that. They have a nutrient called betaine, which is linked with the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Beets may also be helpful for those with liver disease. They are a great source of folate, fibre and manganese.

I had this fantastic quinoa bowl with beets the other day at my favourite restaurant. I looked up how to make it for you. I’m going to make it for lunch or dinner sometime this week:

<h3>Quinoa: </h3>

Prepare 1 cup of white quinoa in 2 cups of boiling water (just as you would with rice).

Grate carrots and beets to put on top.

Drizzle some sauce over the top, such as this peanut satay sauce:

Mix 1 Tbsp of Peanut butter (or for a healthier option, make your own [http://kidshealth.org/kid/recipes/recipes/peanut_butter.html]) with 2 tablespoons of minced garlic and 3 tablespoons of coriander. Add 3 tablespoons of reduced sodium soy sauce and ¾ cup of coconut milk (consider buying the reduced fat coconut milk, if you are watching your weight). Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 3 minutes.