October 2011: Squash

October 2011: Squash

My friend Amy makes the best pumpkin pie I’ve ever had. Since she lives in Vermont and I now live in BC, it is no surprise that I miss her…but around this time of year, I have to admit that I miss her pie more than anything! (Sorry, Amy, but it really is that good!)  Before I moved to BC, leaving behind her beloved pie contribution to my Thanksgivings, I asked her to tell me her secret.  She shocked me with her answer: her pumpkin pie was more butternut squash than pumpkin!  I never got more than that single detail from her, otherwise I might share the recipe.

With that in mind, let us celebrate the succulent squash.  You could even carve a squash for your Halloween jack-o-lantern, but I recommend eating it instead!

According to our friends over at the Land and Food Systems SEEDS project, Cropedia, squash is dense in nutrients such as vitamin A, C, manganese, potassium and folate.  These nutrients are related to cancer prevention and the prevention of birth defects.

As October’s cold rainy weather marks the start of “the season of soup” I hope you find comfort in these squash soup recipes from some of UBC’s soup gurus:

Steve Golob, this month’s Health Hero,has a delicious healthy soup recipe featuring squash.

The student volunteer-run food collective on campus, UBC Sprouts, have shared a recipe for Curried Winter Squash Soup with Apples, Chickpeas and Fresh Cilantro on Cropedia.