Cookies and crumbs

by HJDeW ~ June 1st, 2011. Filed under: Open, Reflection.

I was having heated conversations this past weekend with some colleagues about tracking sytems when using email. Since then, this idea has caught my attention several times.

Cookies leave crumbs…. no matter how neat you eat. When you work in a digital world, the crumbs are there to follow. In my course work, I can us SNAPP to see who is talking to whom, how many times they respond, wether it is inbound or outbound, even get a visual of how the community connects through it’s various members.  In wiki work, the history and editing done is recorded and can be viewed. You can always go back to previous versions of what was created. In blogs, such as this one, there is a trail of changes made. In collaborative project spaces such as Googledocs, there is a record of who wrote what, how it was edited, even when the edits were done.

I recently got an email from Twitter and Facebook asking me to come back to visit. I haven’t been connected to those sites since I set them up (on a whim and some tech support from my daughter) and was surprised to know I’m wanted. So, I’m being tracked there too.

Interesting that the more you ‘put yourself out there’ the more connected you feel, but also the more suspicious you can become. I’m beginning to rethink how quickly I click the “I Agree” button when I sign up for some new web service.

2 Responses to Cookies and crumbs

1.   John Egan

You might be interested in UBC’s Digital Tattoo project (Google it)!

2.   Helen DeWaard

Thanks for the information. This site (http://digitaltattoo.ubc.ca/) is a valuable resource for information. It not only brings awareness to your own online presence and the pitfalls of displaying personal information in online forums, but also looks at how to harness your online presence for positive purposes. Thanks for sharing it, John.