Who Am I?

As a dedicated self-proclaimed science nerd, I have always been in awe of current scientific research community’s efficiency at diagnosing and treating human diseases that have long plagued our species, but never really thought of how it is that animals contribute to generate these to data.

Then, my awareness of research-used rodents’ animal welfare was awakened upon taking a job as an animal care technician for research rodents

And THIS, was no longer humourous anymore:

TNumber one cause of mice death, Scientists

6 thoughts on “Who Am I?

1. Bless your courage for letting it be known what others have only hinted at: animals are suffering at UBC, and in all laboratories…. There is so much evidence that we can’t base human medicine on animal models…. We have spent billions curing cancer in rodents, but both my parents (non-smokers) died from lung cancer….

If you could contact me, or contact Brian at Stop UBC Animal Research, it would be really appreciated…..

• Hello Anne and Brian,

Sorry for the delayed reply but I am currently out of the country and thank you for your kind encouragement and the inspiring article.
      I must clarify that coming from a science background, I believe that disease modeling and medical research using animals is necessary for human health improvement, but I hope to push for more strict enforcement and legislation regarding their welfare. Please let me know how I can help your organization.

Sincerely, Wendy

• Wendy, I am so glad to hear a like-minded individual! I too come from a science background and believe that *some* animal research *may* be necessary for human healthy studies.

However, I too was appalled at the treatment of animals in my workplace. Like you, I saw dozens of mice every week being euthanized because they were “too old” or “surplus”. It is a terrible waste. I always wondered, why are technicians not trained to properly maintain breeding colonies?

Thanks for the blog – It feels good to know I am not the only science geek who feels such conflict!

2. Senior Programme Advisor and Canadian Rep., Born Free USA, director, Animal Alliance of Canada, director, Zoocheck Canada, bird artist, illustrator, writer.

3. Wendy,

Stop UBC Animal Research is asking the BCSPCA to investigate the details you have provided….We are most grateful that someone has gone on record regarding the treatment of animals at UBC. Certain individuals have made us aware of the lack of reverence for life but the details you have provided are vital to our long-time claims that insufficiently trained personnel are being left to diagnose and deal with sick and suffering rodents. Our own veterinary expert has expressed his shock at some of the experiments we uncovered in recently published papers by UBC researchers – he holds that elegant and sophisticated techniques exist that nullify the need for intact living systems…..
    If you would be willing to speak with us when you come home, we would so appreciate it. While we might agree to disagree in the area of need for animal research, I think we share the concern that CCAC standards – woefully lacking as they are – are not being adhered to in UBC’s laboratories…..