Among other things, I am a critical discourse analyst with a doctoral degree in Applied Linguistics from Lancaster University, UK.

I am also

My doctoral dissertation involved an interdisciplinary study of religious and other public sphere discourses in Canada, drawing on various linguistic approaches (in particular the Discourse Historical Approach, Membership Categorization Analysis, narrative and stance analysis).

I am interested in discursive constructions of identity – particularly at the intersections of religiosity/secularism and gender/sexuality – and enjoy contributing to the formation of apprentice scholars through my teaching at UBC. I also have a growing interest in economic discourse, particularly around issues related to international development.

Prior to pursuing my doctoral studies as a mature age student, I worked in public and higher education administration, as both a community consultant with the Australian Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs and registrar for a Canadian university college.

When time permits, I play cello – badly.